How to split polygon with lines without using the manual tool?

Jump to solution
06-16-2022 08:15 AM
DougZietz1
New Contributor III

I don't know how I'm having to ask this question because it should be dead simple but here I am.

For simplicity, everything is centered at Null Island (0,0)... well at least as close to 0,0 as I can because it keeps going off center even when I explicitly enter an interactive input point of 0,0,0 or if I create a point from XYtoPoint and use that as the Multiple Ring Buffer tool input.... but that's another problem that I'm sure has no answer either.

My scenario is this:

I have Multiple Ring Buffer features that I want to divide into slices from the centroid, like a pizza. I have created the lines using the Bearing Distance To Line tool. I can easily split the polygons using the lines if I use the manual edit but I can't figure out what geoprocessing tool I need to use to accomplish the same thing because Split Features tool keeps returning an error about invalid geometry type before I even run it. It actually crashes Pro if I force it.

I have no idea what this error means since I've tried directly using the feature class, using a selection, using a layer from selection, creating a feature layer using the Make a Feature Layer tool, using the iterator Iterate Feature Selection, checked the spatial reference, etc. 

What am I not getting? Using ArcGIS Pro 2.9.3

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

You can try Feature To Polygon tool with your buffers and lines as inputs. The output should contain polygons you want.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.8/tool-reference/data-management/feature-to-polygon.htm

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
DougZietz1
New Contributor III

Thank you, Dan. This worked but extremely unintuitive.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor

You can try Feature To Polygon tool with your buffers and lines as inputs. The output should contain polygons you want.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.8/tool-reference/data-management/feature-to-polygon.htm

0 Kudos
DougZietz1
New Contributor III

Thank you, Dan. This worked but extremely unintuitive.

0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor

I am glad it worked.  But I would also like to know why it's extremely unintuitive so we can look into some improvement.  Thanks for your time!

0 Kudos
DougZietz1
New Contributor III

Sure, Dan.

Quick summation: I searched for hours trying to find ways to split a polygon in code/model builder through google, esri documentation, and the geoprocessing search. These gave me the GUI answer or the split tool... because obviously that's what one would expect. However, I never once came across the Feature to Polygon tool as a way to split a polygon despite that being a 'feature' of the tool. Had it come up in any search, I would have at least tried it. I would think that tagging it with split (assuming the search also uses tags) would at least come up in the list of results. Even then, "Feature to Polygon" doesn't exactly scream "Use me to split a polygon" so i'd probably skip the tool in favor of the much more aptly named "Split" tool even though it doesn't do the split that I need.

I normally just do ETL with just python and geopandas/arcgis python api so I am not as familiar with the standard output of most desktop geoprocessing tools which I'm sure daily esri users are more familiar with than me.

0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Doug,

Thank you very much for taking the time, explaining your search experience, and making the suggestion. I will definitely follow up and add "split" and perhaps a few more helpful search key words.  It may take a while for the new key words to take effect and be available in the Help system.  I will update you and everyone here when the new key words are working.  Thanks again for your feedback!  - Dan

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Even though it was created for ArcMap, I just ran this tool through the Catalog window of Pro 2.9.3, and it worked perfectly.

R_

0 Kudos