How to maximize distance between points?

10-27-2021 08:11 PM
Labels (2)
Nico_coral
New Contributor

I have these 12 sites mapped on ArcGIS Pro. I am trying to set up an experiment that has 4 treatments. Since I have 12 sites I was hoping to allocate 3 sites per treatment so 3 replicates per treatment.

I want each replicate per treatment to be as far as possible from one another. Is it possible to calculate this on ArcGIS?

To clarify I am trying to say: Treatment 1 has 3 replicates. From these 12 calculate the three points furthest from each other. For Treatment 2 use the remaining 9 points to calculate the three points furthest from eachother and so forth.

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Here is one way.

1. First, create a copy of the feature class (Feature Class To Feature Class (Conversion)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation).

2. Select one feature from your original feature class (any corner feature). e.g. MAG-73-9

3. Use Near (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Input Feature: The Copy Feature Class

Near Features: The original Feature Class

Method: Geodesic

4. New field will be added to "FC_Copy". Sort the records based on the Distance Field.

Once sorted, assign values to a class field in multiple of 4. 

say T-1, T2, T-3, T4, T-1, T-2... repeat.

JayantaPoddar_0-1635403652051.png

Think Location
0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Generate Near Table (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

provides a rank as well.  Once you have identified the candidate sites from the table you can go from there since your data set is small (based on the image)

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos