Select to view content in your preferred language

How to change unique values limit from 65536 in ArcGIS Pro?

07-22-2024 12:57 AM
q1azza
by
Deactivated User

Hey everyone. I'm new to ArcGIS Pro and I've been following along an edX course on spatial analysis. Specifically, it teaches how to use bands to determine vegetation health. Anyhow, when I go to change the primary symbology to "Classify" on the ndvi layer I get this message: "The number of unique values in your data is greater than the set limit (65536). Edit the Maximum number of unique values to display, within the Raster and Imagery Options." In addition, the option boxes are empty.

I've tried what it suggests, going to the Raster and Imagery options, but it lacks details. There's also no attribute table for the layer. Help a newbie out?

If this has been answered before please point me to the right direction as I could not find one.

12 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

it wasn't here?

max.png

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DanielStratten
Emerging Contributor

@DanPatterson is correct that that is where you would edit the number of unique values displayed. However, unique values shouldn't be at play here!

I'm seeing this error too when attempting to apply a Classify symbology to a floating point raster. Not sure why a unique value error is involved with a classified symbology. This is new behavior (to me) and looks like a bug. 

0 Kudos
DanielStratten
Emerging Contributor

Screenshot of the issue below. Note 'Classify' symbology with unique value error.

DanielStratten_0-1721757318425.png

0 Kudos
DFarming
Emerging Contributor

Getting this issue as well when trying to classify single-band VIs from drone imagery.

Just another case of an update introducing logic that should never exist (i.e. binning continuous raster surfaces by finding every unique value). I really don't understand how or why this was changed, have never had issues with older versions.

R-

WRingle
Occasional Contributor

I too am having this problem after a belated switch to ArcPro. I am using this with a floating point raster, so of course virtually every pixel will be unique. In my case I increased the maximum number of values to 1,000,000 and still got the same error.

I completely agree this is bone-headed design; surely arcpro could take the minimum and maximum values of a raster and an initial interval (say, (max-min)/3). It speaks poorly of ESRI that such a basic task has been left unattended to.

BenAppleby
Occasional Contributor

I'm also having this same issue on a new project. If I open a previous project with a classified raster it looks fine, though if I attempt to symbolize it as a stretched raster and back to classified I get the same error. 

0 Kudos
JosephHelstab
New Contributor

I'm also experiencing the same error when attempting to classify float data. Appears to be a new bug.

0 Kudos
ThomasMellin
New Contributor

I don't have an answer yet but this seems to be an issue with ArcPro 3.3. I get the error message with 3.3 but everything works fine in 3.2. I never had a problem before my organization went to 3.3.

0 Kudos
BenAppleby
Occasional Contributor

I installed the 3.3.1 patch, the problem is still there. ☹️

0 Kudos