How to Change # of Decimal Places in Chart Statistics when Viewing Statistics on a Field

12-22-2021 12:27 PM
Labels (2)
ChristopherBowering
Occasional Contributor II

When I right-click on a field within the attribute table and select 'Statistics', a chart and statistical properties appear.  I wish a small, simple window would come up with statistical information instead of a full separate entity - as was the case in ArcMap - but that is neither here nor there!  Right now, the various statistics (sum, max, mean, etc) only show 1 decimal place.  The numeric properties for the field itself are set to show 6 decimal places and I don't see where I can change this property for the chart results.  I'd like for more than 1 decimal place to be present.  Does anyone know how to change this??

29 Replies
FaithSJohnson
New Contributor III

👏I love this update, thank you!! I'll check back in once we get 3.2, but I feel really optimistic 🤞

0 Kudos
ChristopherAllen
Esri Contributor

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the feedback. As @BrianOevermann mentioned, the Charts team is planning to increase the number of decimal places that are displayed in the histogram statistics table for the 3.2 release. I’m just reaching out to make sure we fully understand your needs. Our current plan is to display 10 decimal places in 3.2, which was how the values were displayed up to Pro version 2.8. Is this sufficient or would you prefer to see all decimal places? Please keep in mind that it's possible to copy the values with full precision by right-clicking the table. 

Thanks for your input!

Chris

0 Kudos
HollyTorpey_LSA
Occasional Contributor III

10 is sufficient for me! Thank you for doing this!

Any plans to add a simplified statistics tool where we can right-click on a column and get just the basic descriptive statistics for the selected set in a popup or panel (min, max, mean, median, sum, etc.) without cluttering our workspace and TOC with charts? It's really the only thing I still miss about ArcMap, and I made the switch about four years ago.

HollyTorpey_LSA_0-1690212832794.png

I'm not suggesting you get rid of the chart option, because I know there are use cases where all that information is useful, but for my day-to-day workflows, it's overkill and creates clutter than I have to clean up.

- Holly
ChristopherAllen
Esri Contributor

Hi Holly, 

Thanks for the response!

Have you tried the Data Engineering view in Pro? It allows you to view summary statistics for your fields without adding a chart to your TOC. 

Take care,

Chris

HollyTorpey_LSA

Thanks! To be honest, I have not really explored the Data Engineering tools, but I will do so now! Thanks for the suggestion.

- Holly
FaithSJohnson
New Contributor III

Yes, 10 is sufficient for me, thanks @ChristopherAllen !

HollyTorpey_LSA

Decimal places!!!! 😍 Thank you @ChristopherAllen !

HollyTorpey_LSA_0-1690935831231.png

- Holly
JenelleBlack
New Contributor

Well, you all will find this really funny.  I came here to figure out how to get RID of all those decimal places in the statistic (mean) I want to show in my chart.  We can configure everything about the chart EXCEPT the statistics.  I want to move the display location, change the font, and get rid of all decimal places.  Sigh.   I'm glad they were responsive to you, but configurable options for the chart stats is what we really need.  Perhaps you could forward this feedback to he-who-shall-not-be-named??

0 Kudos
BrianOevermann

@JenelleBlack, I'm not really surprised at all. The awesome flexibility of GIS means that there isn't ever a single method of doing things, making it difficult to please everyone. I think that is why many ArcGIS Ideas don't see any traction--the request is too niche even if it might help an entire particular segment of industry. I'm glad I don't make the decisions regarding the work plan. I've been in your position regarding other aspects of Pro (and Desktop before that).

That said, Esri staff have finally joined this thread requesting feedback, namely @ChristopherAllen, so perhaps he will follow up with his own comments. He is on the charts team so your thoughts should make their way back to the rest of the team for discussion.

When I approached staff with this issue at the 2022 UC, I pointed out that the best overall option would be to give us a setting in the options dialog to specify the number of decimals for display. But providing that ability will take more time to test for issues after building that functionality into Pro, making it harder to get on a work plan for implementation. And, as you point out, this thread has been all about more decimal places rather than fewer--mainly returning the display to the former 6 places. That is an easy 'fix' and requires almost no testing other than to make the change and verify it now displays that number of decimal places.

In the overall view of things I would love the flexibility of the options dialog setting. But I'd rather have decimal places back in the short term and request the dialog option as an enhancement to be implemented in one of the upcoming development sprints.

Perhaps submit your Statistics functionality desires in an Idea. If you share a link to it in this thread, I know that I will gladly upvote it and I am sure others will as well.

0 Kudos
ChristopherAllen
Esri Contributor

Hi @JenelleBlack , 

Thanks for your feedback. We've discussed adding configuration options for the number of decimal places displayed, and we hope to implement this in the near term. 

I'll also relay your suggestion to give users more control over the location and style of the statistics table. But, as Brian suggested, it might be best to submit this as a Pro Idea.

Take care,

Chris

0 Kudos