How do I create an email button that opens outlook

04-07-2021 09:57 AM
HaroldKrivell
New Contributor III

I am trying to create a button within the map view for opening outlook with the email address of a selected point pasted in the TO: line, this is for both pro and portal. Our data points contains an email field and the button will take the email address from the field of a selected point and automatically open and paste the address to the outlook TO: line. I have a picture of what I am trying to accomplish, attached to this email. Instructions or documentation on this topic would be appreciated.

Email button in upper right.Email button in upper right.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

I don't know if and how you can create a button like that.

But: You can configure the popup of the layer so that it shows a clickable Mail link. That works for Layers in a web map /app (through Portal). It doesn't work in Pro for me, but that might be restrictions of my institution, maybe it works for you...

Configure the popup of your layer (in Pro or in Map Viewer), switch to the HTML source.

<a href="mailto:{MailField}">Send me a mail!</a>
<br>
<a href="mailto:{MailField}?subject=Parsed%20subject%20line">Send me a mail with a pre-written subject line!</a>
<br>
<a href="mailto:{MailField}?subject=Parsed%20subject%20line&body=Parsed%20body%20content">Send me a mail with pre-written subject line and body content!</a>

Have a great day!
Johannes
HaroldKrivell
New Contributor III

Thank you for the reply. Our customer has been able to implement a button for single selection and a single email. But we are attempting to do so with a multiple selection and an emailing multiple email addresses. Is there a way to send multiple emails to a selected group within an area?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

If you publish the point feature class to a hosted feature layer in ArcGIS Online, you can configure the popup to send an email using the workflow here . 

I used the author's web map and added to an ArcGIS Pro project and the configured pop-up DOES remember the mailto configuration and when I click Send Email, it creates a new email in MS Outlook.  Pretty slick!

0 Kudos
HaroldKrivell
New Contributor III

Thank you for your response. 

Our customer has been able to implement a button for single selection and a single email. But we are attempting to do so with a multiple selection and an emailing multiple email addresses. Is there a way to send multiple emails to a selected group within an area using a button?

0 Kudos