How can I export lat/lon of each pixel of a raster?

Jump to solution
03-26-2020 01:20 AM
MariusSchwinning
New Contributor

Hi all,

I'm new to ArcGIS and need some help: I have a raster of a particular surface area in a PolarStereographiccoordinate frame and I would like to export the lat/lon information of each pixel into some sort of array for further processing in other tools (image processing). Ist there such functionality and if so, how can I access it?

From what I understood, a GeoTIFF is geo-referenced, but "only" in terms of the corners of the image. And a simple linear interpolation of this information would not be precise enough.

Thanks,
Marius

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
MariusSchwinning
New Contributor

Hi Dan,

thank you very much for your hint and sorry for my late response.

First of all, "Raster to Point" works fine. Unfortunately though, the points do not have lat/lon coordinates that can be exported. So I tried the "Convert Coordinate Notation", which is way too timeconsuming for large amount of points (4 million points took 8 hours).

The weird thing is, when selecting a point, I can see the exact coordinates on the bottom of the pop-up window (see screenshot below). However, I can't access/export this information as it seems. And since it seems to be available, it shouldn't take that long to store the lat/lon information in an array I can access (at least that's my assumption).

I need the export to further process image data in Matlab. Ideal would be a matrix of:

pointid,grid_code(actuall data),latitiude,longitude

Do you have a suggestion how to faster get the lat/lon information of every point ready for export?

Cheers
Marius

Screenshot of a single point

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Marius,The coordinates don't automatically appear in the table, you have to add them

Add XY Coordinates—Data Management toolbox | Documentation 

Now if your raster was in decimal degrees to begin with, you are done.  However, if your raster was in a projected coordinate system, then you will need to return them in geographic coordinates

Add Geometry Attributes—Data Management toolbox | Documentation 

or you can perform the projection step separately, using the Project tool, followed by the Add XY coordinates.

MariusSchwinning
New Contributor

Dear Dan,

thank you very much, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again for your quick and great help.

Cheers
Marius

0 Kudos