How are my GPU resources exceeded?

03-15-2021 12:58 PM
MarcGraham2
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I am trying to load a large multipatch into ArcGIS Pro.  It was converted from a dwg that represents a ground surface with approx 230k faces.  ArcGIS Pro will not draw the entire thing and shows an error about GPU resources exceeded, however looking at task manager this does not appear to be the case.  Can someone from Esri please explain how this is calculated, and what we can do about it?

MarcGraham2_0-1615838122048.png

This confirms it is using the dedicated AMD graphics not the Intel chip:

MarcGraham2_1-1615838247324.png

Cheers,

Marc

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

you saw this...

Graphics adapter resources—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

also check your Display Cache on the Project Backstage

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
MarcGraham2

Thanks for that Dan.  It still doesn't explain why my GPU appears to be underutilised while ArcGIS Pro is reporting that GPU resources are exceeded.  Unless something else that isn't reported in Task Manager is bottlenecking it.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It has come up before without any resolution except the one post (can't locate right now) that said clearing out the cache seemed to make the issue go away.

Some tools allow for setting GPU resources in the Environments settings but 

Processor Type (Environment setting)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

that requires you know what actually is allowed to use the GPU and what doesn't

Perhaps @KoryKramer 's post on troubleshooting has more ideas.

Troubleshooting Performance Issues in ArcGIS Pro - Esri Community

but I can't say for sure.

... sort of retired...
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Marc,

My team owns this functionality - the warning occurs when you exceed certain counters in the graphics system.  This metric varies based on reported capabilities of the GPU.   If your GPU is not showing as highly utilized in Task Manager, you may have run into a bug specific to your GPU/Driver.  Your screenshot doesn't show make/model nor driver version, so the first thing to try might be to update the driver to  newer version.

Troubleshooting tips are available in the help - which is linked if you click on the warning as well, things like threducing draw distance and lowering rendering quality might help you display the data.

Any chance you can share with us your repro data?  I can provide an ad-hoc file transfer account to use for transferring the data, or you can work with Support to report this as a bug and they can collect the data from you.

If you want to experiment, you can also try converting to scene layer using "Create 3D Object SCene Layer" tool, add the SLPK as a layer.

Regards,

Jeremy W.

MarcGraham2

Hi Jeremy, thanks for the info.  I am going to try updating my graphics driver to see if this helps.  Also happy to send you the base data to see if you can reproduce the issue.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
MarcGraham2

I updated my graphics drivers to the latest release, however this did not help the problem.  For reference I am using an HP ZBook 15u G6 with an AMD Radeon Pro WX3200 Graphics card.  The same dataset that is causing issues on this PC rendered perfectly in ArcGIS Pro on a desktop with an Nvidia 2060 Super.  Looks like an underpowered hardware issue.

0 Kudos
FrederikkeHansen
New Contributor II

I am having the same issue. Did you ever find a solution for this?

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

I got Marc's data and was unable to repro, but from my communication with him it was a hardware- or driver- specific issue with his GPU.  

What are the hardware specs on your machine?  You can use https://links.esri.com/run-arcgis-pro and take a screenshot of the readout and paste it here.

0 Kudos
FrederikkeHansen
New Contributor II

FrederikkeHansen_0-1620058020854.png

Hi Jeremy,

I think clearing the cache worked in my case (at least I haven't seen the error message since), but I'm still having a lot of trouble regarding my GPU I think. I'm trying to visualize a voxel layer (maybe take a look at my recent community question for more details), and I can't make it work on my desktop, but I can see it on my much less powerful laptop. I've updated my GPU driver just last night, but to no avail. My next step is to try to reorganise my data, and see if that helps, or possibly look for an entirely different way to achieve my goals. Meanwhile, is there anything you could suggest to make sure my GPU is not the issue?

Thanks!

0 Kudos