Help query layer form add in

03-15-2021 02:27 PM
Jose_FranciscoSánchez_Díaz1
New Contributor III

Hi everyone:
I used to create my own tools using python snippets and I'm having a hard time trying to move to .net sdk.
I need to develop a combo box to choose from layer unique id values on a layer, and apply a query based on this selection.
I don't find any easy example on the arcgis .net sdk documentation that help me to create it and start to understand sdk logic.
Do you know some helpful resources?
Thanks!!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

May I ask, what is your use case for using the .NET SDK?  I'm asking because it is such a big jump (especially if you aren't already a .NET expert)  from  scripting. The SDK is normally used only if you must mess with the UI, interact with the display, work with data in non-standard ways, or modify symbology in ways not supported in arcpy.mp + CIM.   

There's some great stuff on the Esri Academy for example:

Beginning Pro Customization (video)

ArcGIS Pro Dev Fundamentals (Learning Plan)

Hope this helps you out.

0 Kudos
Jose_FranciscoSánchez_Díaz1
New Contributor III

@curtvprice Thanks for the info!
I used to use arcobjects to create my own buttons, to simplify tasks as filling attributes with predefined values, make queries from combo boxes, and that kind of thing.
Python snippets performance was not great but as a python fan it was easier for my to program in this language than vba or .net.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

1. filling attributes with predefined values < editing templates and domains are really good for this

2. make queries from combo boxes < I have been successful doing this with python tool parameter properties and (updateParameters) parameter validation.

But I get that .NET is the best (only) way to totally control a user interface if required!!

0 Kudos