Having difficulty with sorting points spatially

05-19-2020 12:19 AM
WilliamDochnahl
New Contributor

I am trying to sort a large number of points spatially to then create lines and polygons that follow the points. I am using a PEANO sort to attempt to sort the points, but they don't sort in an order that makes a lot of sense to me. Is there something I can do to get these to sort in an order that will allow me to generate lines or polygons around the outside of these features?

Thanks,

Bill Dochnahl

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

How did you get the points initially? Instead of trying to unbake that cake maybe we can save it from the oven in the first place.

there could be some near analysis done on it, but that is a bit chicken and egg again as it would need to iterate sequentially.  I can see how it might be done in my head though.

0 Kudos
WilliamDochnahl
New Contributor

They are part of a large point file that sent to me derived from LiDAR data. I don't have a way to change how the other group processes that data, so this is what I have to work with.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What do the points represent?

0 Kudos
WilliamDochnahl
New Contributor

These are the outside edges of an unpaved road.

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

The Aggregate Points tool can cluster groups of points but your data appears track-like, do you want Points To Line linear output?  There are ways to create hulls too.  It will help to dummy up a picture.

0 Kudos
WilliamDochnahl
New Contributor

I do, but what I get is a line that crosses the track and jumps around a lot. If I can sort the points, I can get the line to travel along the correct path.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Before focusing on sorting, you need to focus on attribution or grouping.  The screenshot looks to show vertices for 2 separate/distinct lines.  Is the data attributed in such a way that you can identify those 2 separate/distinct lines?  If not, then your first task is to find a way to group the points and then sort then.

0 Kudos
WilliamDochnahl
New Contributor

These are all queried as "Unpaved Roads" in a much larger dataset. They are points taken along the side of this dirt road, but there is no other defining characteristic to sort the sides of the road, or to get them in any kind of order.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos