Select to view content in your preferred language

Getting an error "Failed to load notebook" when opening .ipynb file in ArcGIS Pro 2.6

07-30-2020 03:35 PM
SaraLoreno1
New Contributor

I have tried creating new notebooks as well as opening existing notebooks, but I get the same error "Failed to load notebook".  This occurs after tab shows "Initializing Kernel". What am I missing?  Through research, it seems as if I should just be able to run notebooks through arc pro without additional downloads. Thanks in advance. 

18 Replies
KatarzynaBiałozor
New Contributor

I will be waiting for any news on this matter.

I have the same problem as you guys:(

HeatherChamberlain
New Contributor II

I have the exact same issue also

0 Kudos
Demi_Snow
New Contributor

Soo unfortunately, the same thing happened to me. I took the advice TijsLips said about using the default environment instead of a cloned environment. I went to File > Package Manager and made sure that the default environment was active. I restarted ArcPro and viola. It works. BUT as everything else, I'm sure that's going to be a road block down the line when I may be to add something.

0 Kudos
TijsLips
New Contributor III

The issue got resolved for me:

Esri support found out that the issue for me was the Jinja2 package version 3.1.2 in my cloned environment versus 3.0.3 in the original environment. There seems to be an import error in Notebook caused by the Jinja2 package update: 

ImportError: cannot import name 'contextfilter' from 'jinja2' (C:\ ... \conda\envs\ ... \lib\site-packages\jinja2\__init__.py).

As long as 3.0.3 is active in your cloned environment the failure is no longer showing while using the clone.

HenryDurand
New Contributor

I saw the different Jinja2 package versions for the original and cloned environments on my machine. However, I get "Failed to load notebook" for both the original and cloned environments regardless. 

0 Kudos
TijsLips
New Contributor III

Maybe there is another package with versioning, that causes the failure for you? It is still working for me since I kept the older Jinja2 version..

MinhazulIslam919
New Contributor II

Having same problem

0 Kudos
BerritBredemeier1
New Contributor II

Same here, I'm still on 2.9 and going through a training exercise for Notebooks. Opened the provided training project and got the error. thanks to you comments above I changed back to the default Python environment (not use the cloned one as instructed earlier in the exercises), and then the project with the notebook opened okay. So what goes wrong here when working with cloned environments??

0 Kudos
TijsLips
New Contributor III

It is not the clone itself causing the problem, it is a package versioning causing the error. In my case it was Jinja2, but not sure if there are others causing this problem too.. Best to check the log with the Esri support team.

0 Kudos