Geometry Transfer in ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
01-12-2021 04:56 PM
SunniBoulton
New Contributor II

I am using ArcGIS Pro V2.6 

On the old ArcMap "Spatial Adjustment" toolbar, we had the option in the transfer attributes process, to tick a box "Transfer geometry".

SunniBoulton_1-1610498349527.pngSunniBoulton_2-1610498356534.png

This permitted a transfer of geometry only, NOT the attributes.

Does anyone know if Pro has carried this over?  I cannot find an equivalent tick box on Pro's adjustment tool (see screenshot below). The "Replace Geometry" tool requires you to draw the new shape (not simply select a feature for the existing geometry to be transferred to).

SunniBoulton_0-1610497204851.png

Any help much appreciated!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

Geometry can be transferred by matching the shape field between the source and target layers.

Click in the 'invisible' cell for the shape field under the source.

SeanJones_0-1610559483410.png

View solution in original post

14 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

Geometry can be transferred by matching the shape field between the source and target layers.

Click in the 'invisible' cell for the shape field under the source.

SeanJones_0-1610559483410.png

SunniBoulton
New Contributor II

Hi Sean,

Thanks very much for pointing that out.  Another Pro gotchya..

0 Kudos
LynnCarlson__GISP
Occasional Contributor

Can you please help me find the Editor Options window you have shown here where one can opt to choose the Shape field for the source and target?  I cannot seem to find it anywhere. ArcGIS Pro 2.8 Advanced.  I am looking for a workflow that will simply“exchange” a badly digitized polygon with an authoritative polygon (complex with  many vertices), while retaining the attributes (which include a globalid and parentglobalid) of the badly digitized polygon.  Your answer provided above seems like it might work very nicely for this, but I cannot figure out the steps to get to the Editor Setttings panel you have shown in the graphic.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Lynn,

The easiest way to bring up the field mapping dialog is through the 'burger' button on the Transfer Attributes tool pane.

SeanJones_0-1623165594258.png

The dialog can also be reached through the editor settings dialog launcher in the tools group on the edit tab.

SeanJones_1-1623165705945.png

LynnCarlson__GISP
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much!  I see it now in both places.  But am I misunderstanding the setting for the Shape field?  I thought if I had an authoritative polygon shape as a Source (with all other attribute values in that Source being “null”) and set the Target as the “Bad” polygon I want to replace, that the end result would be the good shape in the source replacing the bad shape in the target.  Ie. I want to retain the attribute values in the target, but replace the target’s polygon with an entirely different polygon.  I haven’t been able to accomplish this even knowing now where to set the Shape field for the Transfer Attributes editing tool.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Assuming 'shape' to 'shape' is setup in the field map its just a matter of clicking on source then target with the transfer attribute tool.

SeanJones_0-1623171627100.png

If the source and target features have similar geometry It can be hard to get the right one as the tool doesn't have a selection chip yet. The other confusing thing will be when you click on the target feature it will seemingly disappear, as it gets the source geometry and you'll have two features at the source location.

LynnCarlson__GISP
Occasional Contributor

It Works!  Thank you so much - this will save me hours of work!  😄

0 Kudos
TaraRussell-Weir
New Contributor II

Hello.  In ArcMap I was able to us the spatial adjustment toolbar to transfer geometry and I now see from this post how to transfer geometry in ArcPro BUT the whole junction/connection (lines and points) doesn't move, only the point moves is there a trick to getting this to work, I am trying to use this on my water utilities with Trace Network.

Using ArcPro 2.9

0 Kudos
JonathanGeiger
New Contributor

Ever figure this out? I am trying to figure out the same thing. I replace/transfer geometry and the associated points don't transfer with the line being relocated(or vice versa) regardless of being connected via the Trace Network. 

0 Kudos