Geoanalytics Desktop Tools "Join Features" and "Summarize Within" fail to execute

Jump to solution
07-22-2022 08:42 AM
Adam1
by
New Contributor II

Hello,

I'm trying out some Geoanalytics Desktop Tools, but get the following error message when I try to execute "Join Features" or "Summarize Within":

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis pro\Resources\ArcToolbox\scripts\ga_desktop_summarizewithin.py", line 53, in <module>
    run_ga_desktop_tool('SummarizeWithin', params, {"output":1})
  File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis pro\Resources\ArcToolbox\Scripts\gautils\utilities.py", line 113, in run_ga_desktop_tool
    gax = get_client()
  File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis pro\Resources\ArcToolbox\Scripts\gautils\utilities.py", line 98, in get_client
    return jobclient.JobClient(spark)
  File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis pro\Resources\ArcToolbox\scripts\ga_spark\local\jobclient.py", line 11, in __init__
    self._jgp = spark._sc._gateway.jvm.com.esri.arcgis.gae.desktop.DesktopPythonEnvironment.getJobClient()
  File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis pro\Resources\ArcToolbox\scripts\ga_spark\local\_launcher.py", line 43, in __getattr__
    self._lazy_init()
  File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis pro\Resources\ArcToolbox\scripts\ga_spark\local\_launcher.py", line 48, in _lazy_init
    self._spark = get_or_create()
  File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis pro\Resources\ArcToolbox\scripts\ga_spark\local\_launcher.py", line 59, in get_or_create
    _spark = _initialize_spark()
  File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis pro\Resources\ArcToolbox\scripts\ga_spark\local\_launcher.py", line 184, in _initialize_spark
    gateway = _launch_gateway(popen_kwargs=popen_kwargs, conf=conf)
  File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis pro\Resources\ArcToolbox\scripts\ga_spark\local\_launcher.py", line 321, in _launch_gateway
    raise Exception("Java gateway process exited before sending its port number")
Exception: Java gateway process exited before sending its port number
Failed script (null)...
Failed to execute (SummarizeWithin).

I tried some Java new/reinstalling of the JDK/setting JAVA_HOME, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it or if I did it right.

I am on Windows 10 and use ArcGIS Pro 2.9.3. Any ideas are greatly appreciated, I have no idea whatsoever how I could fix this, but it seems like it has nothing to do with the parameters I set for the tool, I guess?

It is for connecting a car-data-feature (point, speed, ...) to data of changing digital traffic signs on a motorway (e. g. changing speed limits). The motorway data is in 1-minute intervalls (instant-time field) and the car-data in "random" instant time stamps. I want to connect the "matching times".

I'm sorry I am not sure what further information you need.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NoahSlocum
Esri Contributor

Hi @Adam1,
The failure you're seeing is due to ArcGIS Pro's install location. The GeoAnalytics Desktop toolbox is not supported when ArcGIS Pro is installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)". We will work on adding this to documentation so that it's clear to folks who encounter it in the future. As a workaround, is installing ArcGIS Pro in a different location an option? Anywhere in "C:\Program Files" should work, otherwise I recommend a location that does not have parenthesis, spaces, or special characters in the path. 

Best regards,
Noah
Product Engineer - GeoAnalytics

View solution in original post

4 Replies
NoahSlocum
Esri Contributor

Hi @Adam1,
The failure you're seeing is due to ArcGIS Pro's install location. The GeoAnalytics Desktop toolbox is not supported when ArcGIS Pro is installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)". We will work on adding this to documentation so that it's clear to folks who encounter it in the future. As a workaround, is installing ArcGIS Pro in a different location an option? Anywhere in "C:\Program Files" should work, otherwise I recommend a location that does not have parenthesis, spaces, or special characters in the path. 

Best regards,
Noah
Product Engineer - GeoAnalytics

robertkalasek
New Contributor III

unfortunately i receive the same error and arcgis is installed in c:/program files as you can see in the error report ... "Traceback (most recent call last):
File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\ArcToolbox\scripts\ga_desktop_summarizewithin.py", line 58, ..." any ideas are highly appreciated !

0 Kudos
AmigaPatt
New Contributor

I am also having this issue- has anyone ever gotten back to you on this?

0 Kudos
RachelMassa
New Contributor II

Also having this issue. The solution to an entire toolbox not working if the program is installed in the default location for most users is to reinstall the whole program somewhere else... that isn't a solution. 

0 Kudos