Select to view content in your preferred language

General issues in a given area of ArcGIS Pro — How to bring to the attention of the appropriate Esri staff?

08-01-2024 04:40 PM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Esteemed Contributor

There are cases where users have a host of issues in a given area of ArcGIS Pro. Not just a specific bug or a gap in functionality (idea) but a multitude of issues causing a loss of faith in parts of Pro.

Example from @chill_gis_dude in ArcGIS Pro Field Calculator is not working with a double field:

I manage an ArcGIS Enterprise deployment and we have noticed similar issues after upgrading to Pro 3.0 and higher and have completely gone back to 2.9.

We have models that run weekly to do select by locations and then calculate the geometry (acreage) of those selected polygons and have noticed that it is calculating erroneous acreages inconsistently. An obvious 20 or 40 acre polygon being calculated as 6 acres etc.

We have also noticed similar issues with field calculator where we are just calculating field3 to be a simple concatenation of field1 and field2 and have noticed that it pulls in data from other fields not even referenced in the expression. 

We've pretty much lost all faith in the field calculator and calculate geometry tools, two of the most important tools in Pro. Its like buying a calculator and the "+" not working correctly every time. Trying to get them logged as bugs but the issues are very hard to reproduce. 

Our layers are stored in an enterprise geodatabase driven by SQL Server 2016. 

I’ve heard similar concerns from other organizations. They say they have no choice but to remain at Pro 2.9 for the time being due to general issues in a specific area of Pro.

What is the most effective way to bring concerns like this to the attention of the right Esri staff members?

3 Replies
SimonSchütte_ct
Frequent Contributor

Hi Bud, best open a ticket in My Esri.

ShaneONeill_144
Esri Contributor

Hi there, yes please raise a support case via MyEsri with your local Esri distributor - once raised, we can investigate this further.

chill_gis_dude
Regular Contributor

Thanks for bringing this up @Bud. I'm working with an ESRI analyst right now who is trying to replicate the issue in their environment to hopefully get it logged as a bug, but mainly they are just suggesting workarounds. We paid a pretty hefty price to get our Enterprise deployment up and running, our higher ups already had doubts about GIS Software and if they knew that some of our acreage calculations had been wrong in the past they would be absolutely livid. We've been doing acreage calculations in ArcGIS for 10 years and never had issues like this. 

0 Kudos