Select to view content in your preferred language

Charts cut off when exporting

03-11-2024 06:08 PM
Labels (2)
AvaFarouche
Frequent Contributor

Hi!

When I export charts to graphic, the content of the chart/ graphic gets cut off, like so:

AvaFarouche_2-1710205641760.png

You can see in the second column that the species name and/or the number and percentage gets cut off. There's plenty of space between the columns and the pie chart, but I can't adjust that. I've tried orienting the chart to left and right, but either way it gets cut off. I'd also be happy to get rid of the pie chart itself all together and just have the columns showing species name and number/percentage. The pie chart itself is obviously not super helpful.

I tried exporting to Table and that doesn't produce the results I'm looking for. I can create a chart in xcel, but that presents other problems. I can get a table of names to show up, similar to what's shown above, but not with any numbers or percentages shown along with the names, and that's what I need for a ppt presentation. Providing just a long list of names isn't nearly as visually effective. I'm sure I can figure out some way to just get the data from excel into another kind of table with columns but would love it if I could just export the chart without it cutting off.

Any insight?? Thank you in advance!!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RonaldHaug
Frequent Contributor

Hi Ava,

I googled "export charts to graphic arcgis pro" to get the help page https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/analysis/geoprocessing/charts/share-a-chart.htm . There I found something interesting.

RonaldHaug_0-1710224385121.png

Step 3 says to size the graphic. Have you played around with the width of your graphic?

Worth a try.

Another way they mention is capture to clipboard.

RonaldHaug_1-1710224643922.png

Let us know if either of these tricks works.

0 Kudos
AvaFarouche
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the ideas, Ronald! 

I had already tried capturing to clipboard, which did not work. I had not tried changing the size of the graphic. Unfortunately, that didn't work either. I tried a dozen or more different combinations.

When I exported to 2000 x 2000 I was finally able to get it to sort of work - but only if I left off the number counts and only included percentages. I could copy the text portion of the chart into a ppt and it wasn't too blurry. But, I had to leave off the number counts, and those are important. Including the number counts ruined it. There are four decimal point places for the percentages, and I wish I could change that too, to save space. That many usually isn't necessary.

But, thanks for the idea! It almost worked!

0 Kudos
RonaldHaug
Frequent Contributor

Hi Ava,

I thought about what you wrote and have an idea I want you to try.

What happens when you set your export dimension to 2000W X 600H?

Will that scale your chart properly?

RSVP - Thanks!

0 Kudos
ChristopherAllen
Esri Contributor

Hi @AvaFarouche ,

I just wanted to point out that you should be able to control the number of decimal places displayed for the percentage in the Slices tab:

ChristopherAllen_2-1722621571075.png

Hope this helps!

Chris

ChristopherAllen
Esri Contributor

Hi @AvaFarouche 

Apologies for the delayed response. As you've noted, there is extra space that could be used to display more of the legend text. This is something we'll look into in the future. In the meantime, in addition to exploring different export dimensions, you might also try adjusting the legend text font size to be smaller, which should allow you to see more text: 

ChristopherAllen_0-1722620437940.png

However, I just wanted to note that in your case it would be very challenging to display all legend items on the chart due to the large number of categories (ie slices) being represented. In this case, if possible we recommend you use a Grouping threshold to group smaller slices into an "Other" category to reduce the number of categories that are displayed:

ChristopherAllen_1-1722621148092.png

Please see the documentation for more details. 

Thanks for the question!

Chris