General Function Failure; failed to open table

02-12-2019 02:34 PM
SamMontoia1
New Contributor III

General Function Failure.

At some point during my use of ArcGIS Pro 2.3, I confront with this image.  It comes when I have tried to open a data table from a feature class that's in my project.  My feature classes link to a SQL Server table that's immutable. Anyway, is the issue that my data linkages are unindexed?  

The ole' turning it back off and back on again (restarting ArcGIS pro) seems to fix the issue at least temporarily. 

13 Replies
RobertHouston1
New Contributor II

I was getting  the same message when trying to open an attribute table for a feature class in a file geodatabase. Restarting Pro 'fixed' the issue.  

SamMontoia1
New Contributor III

I have had the same experience of restarting Pro and "fixing" the issue. 

0 Kudos
marjorie_jerez
New Contributor III

I had the "Error: External component has thrown an exception" message and closing/opening Pro worked. I had never seen that message before.

0 Kudos
Kris_AB
New Contributor II

I also have similar issues. Map also is not drawn with the attribute tables.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Is the data on a network drive?  If so, test this - copy the data to a local file geodatabase.  Add the data to a new map in a new project and try to open the attribute table.  Does the error persist?  If not, then it sounds like there's something up with the settings for the network drive perhaps.

Kris_AB
New Contributor II

Thank you, Robert.

Yes, Data is in the network drive. I added more and more layers in the pro. Then after it started hesitating to show up attribute table and map. I think I should remove unnecessary layers. Once I close the software and reopen again. It works perfectly. 

This is shapefile. This may be a reason. I should have work on the geodatabase in first place.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

It is possible there is some degree of  network latency accessing the data.  If you convert the shapefile to a geodatabase, you should see some improvement as converting a shapefile to a file geodatabase feature class generally decreased the file size 40-60% - thus decreased file size, faster response (outside of network issues of course).

AndrewHargreaves1
New Contributor III

I am suffering from this issue. Data is accessed via password protected feature services. Is there any known fix?

0 Kudos
ZakaryLegarda
New Contributor III

I received the same error and the error corrected itself after restarting pro. Thanks for sharing!

Zakary Legarda
0 Kudos