Select to view content in your preferred language

ERROR 00176: <value> path exceeds operating system limit

02-10-2023 08:44 AM
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Sigh. I'm attempting to overwrite an existing web layer in my Portal and today I'm getting Error 00176:

"Server Input path exceeds operating system limit"

I've published this way (meaning: overwrite an existing web layer) for several years so the process hasn't changed; only the ArcGIS Pro version has, which is now 3.0.0.

I just finished overwriting 4 other web layers, all in the same APRX project, all the data residing in the same SDE location with same connection string, and all named similarly (it's census data so there is some slight variation).

ESRI's "detailed" solution is simply:

If your path exceeds the limit, you can shorten the staging folder path, service name, or the path to the data's source data to reduce the number of characters used for this path. When you share a web feature layer to ArcGIS Online, the name of the file geodatabase is limited to 66 characters.

But this is a server side issue. I've tried chopping off everything I can in the Pro dialog but it makes no difference. This published originally just fine; this overwrote the web layer just fine for several years, including last year. The only difference I see now is ArcGIS Pro 3.0.0.

2 Replies
OliverIshmael
Occasional Contributor

There is a default limit in ArcGIS Pro that restricts the number features displayed to 3,000. This value can be manually increased by right-clicking on the layer > Properties > Source > WFS

OliverIshmael_0-1680700004762.png

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/services/use-wfs-services.htm#:~:text=Modify%20WF... 

SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Thanks. I'll keep this in mind when I have to update this layer again next year. I got around this issue by publishing with a new name rather than trying to overwrite it and then using AGO Assistant to update the layer URLs. The dataset in question did have more than 3,000 records so what you describe may have been an issue but I don't recall really doing anything different when I re-published with a different name.

0 Kudos