Enforce Attribute Validation

Jump to solution
06-28-2021 12:09 PM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

In the 2.7 Pro help it states :

Enable attribute validation to restrict attribute edits to values that satisfy the validation criteria imposed on a field. Examples include domain values and fields that do not allow nulls or empty field values.

I have that checked in my options:

JoeBorgione_0-1624907002583.png

And I have a domain controlled field in feature class I'm working on.  However, I can use the field calculator to enter any value I want in that field:

JoeBorgione_1-1624907097835.png

What does that option do?

Secondary question:  Is it possible in Pro to access the domain values in the field calculator?  For example, I am updating  the address type to 45 selected records.  I can go through each one individually, or I can use the field calculator (and misspell a domain value).  

That should just about do it....
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JoeBorgione

Currently, attribute validation occurs in the Attributes pane while editing attributes of existing selected records and creating new features in the active template pane.

There is also a command for selecting invalid objects there when you right-click on a layer in the selection tree.

See this help article: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/editing/edit-feature-attributes.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_8F13...

Try using field calculator > updated record are selected > open the attributes pane and look for errors/warnings. Filter to show invalids by using 'Select Only Invalid Objects'.

Thanks,

Scott

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JoeBorgione

Currently, attribute validation occurs in the Attributes pane while editing attributes of existing selected records and creating new features in the active template pane.

There is also a command for selecting invalid objects there when you right-click on a layer in the selection tree.

See this help article: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/editing/edit-feature-attributes.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_8F13...

Try using field calculator > updated record are selected > open the attributes pane and look for errors/warnings. Filter to show invalids by using 'Select Only Invalid Objects'.

Thanks,

Scott

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Hey @Scott_Harris ;  I just checked an attribute pane and was going to post that up when you post showed up:

JoeBorgione_0-1624914221912.png

Now I see how I can 'mass-calculate'...

That should just about do it....