Editing causing constant crashes to desktop and GPU spikes

Jump to solution
11-20-2019 12:17 PM
HeatherKetten2
New Contributor II

I am making basic edits to a polygon feature class (manually moving vertices and using Reshape Geometry to have it align to polygons on another layer). None of the polygon layers are particularly complex - only about 30 polygons per layer and the vertices aren't super dense.

However, no matter what, I have to save edits after every single tiny edit, because Pro will crash to desktop on the next edit. I am having to do tiny bits of reshaping at a time because it can't handle doing more than a few city blocks (10-30 vertices) before it crashes to desktop.

And when I say "crashes to desktop", I mean I'm actively working, and suddenly Pro is gone, like flicking a light switch. No warnings, no errors, nothing.

Rarely, it doesn't crash to desktop, but I have to force quit it instead. Either a black box appears over the whole editing area, and it acts like it's frozen. Or it acts like it's stuck processing/loading, with a spinning wheel on the cursor and all the editing options grayed out.

I was curious what could be happening so I Googled around a bit and found suggestions to update video card drivers. My organization locks down our ability to install anything without IT's approval so I'm checking on this. The driver was last updated in March 2018 so this may be a big part of it.

In the meantime I checked my GPU and found that it is spiking suddenly just as it crashes (Screenshot attached). 

The only other thing running on my computer is my email, and I've simplified my Pro project as much as possible so that nothing else is loading. 

Any other ideas?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Heather Ketten‌ sorry that you're experiencing crashing. What version of ArcGIS Pro are you running?

Have you run the 'Check your computer's ability to run ArcGIS Pro 2.4' utility from https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/get-started/arcgis-pro-system-requirements.htm 

Paste your result in a response to this post.  It will look something like this:

Also, have you been getting the error report dialog?  If so, include your email address and submit the error report.  Here's a bit about how that process works: ArcGIS Desktop Error Reporter Learns Its Manners 

In the meantime, if you go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ESRI\ErrorReports do you see .dmp files that correspond to the editing crashes?  The filename contains a date-time stamp:

If you could, please send those to kkramer@esri.com and we can at least analyze them to see if they give us any clues.

Thank you

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Heather,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing crashing. My recommendation is to contact Esri Technical Support as soon as possible: Esri Support Contact Support 

On my end, I can't reproduce a crash with the Reshape tool - then again, there are many variables that could be different between our environments and data. Esri Support can help to narrow these down and get a reproducible case to the developers.

I wish I could help you more, here on Geonet, but sometimes these things are difficult to triage in a timely manner.

Thank you,

Scott

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Heather Ketten‌ sorry that you're experiencing crashing. What version of ArcGIS Pro are you running?

Have you run the 'Check your computer's ability to run ArcGIS Pro 2.4' utility from https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/get-started/arcgis-pro-system-requirements.htm 

Paste your result in a response to this post.  It will look something like this:

Also, have you been getting the error report dialog?  If so, include your email address and submit the error report.  Here's a bit about how that process works: ArcGIS Desktop Error Reporter Learns Its Manners 

In the meantime, if you go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ESRI\ErrorReports do you see .dmp files that correspond to the editing crashes?  The filename contains a date-time stamp:

If you could, please send those to kkramer@esri.com and we can at least analyze them to see if they give us any clues.

Thank you

HeatherKetten2
New Contributor II

Hi there, I know this post is old but I didn't want to leave it unanswered. This issue was eventually fixed. I believe the issue had something to do with outdated drivers.

0 Kudos