Select to view content in your preferred language

dead end roads, or lines in my network that only intersect once

02-26-2024 03:48 PM
L77
by
Occasional Contributor

I have a road network and would like to be able to select all of my dead end roads, or roads that only intersect the network at one point.

Is there a way to query for these?

Here is an example: I hand selected some roads that only intersect with another road at one point.

L77_0-1708991268103.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

You can use this tool to extract the dangling node and then use that as the selecting layer in the select layer by location tool.

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

If for some reason that doesn't work out, you could create points at each startpoint and endpoint and then count (collect?) all the points at each intersection/point. If there are locations where there is only one point, then that would be a dead end. I don't recall all the geoprocessing tools that are needed, but that technique has worked for me in the past.

0 Kudos
L77
by
Occasional Contributor

I used the Feature Vertices to Point tool, and selected dangling and it created a point at each endpoint.

In the screenshot it shows points at the end of each line, regardless of how many times the line intersects other lines. I labeled the intersections with numbers so the points highlighted in blue are on lines that have multiple intersections.

L77_0-1709046297521.png

I will need to find another way to just select the lines that only have one intersection.

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

Could you use Collect Events (Spatial Statistics) or Spatial Join (Analysis) to count the points at each location, then isolate locations that only have 1 point?

0 Kudos