Select to view content in your preferred language

Assign Elevation Line from DEM

02-27-2024 08:42 AM
StasiaPietraszun
New Contributor II

I am trying to create a line on a color gradient using DEM. We are trying to show elevation differences across levees and were going to use elevation points for color gradient, but we want to see if it's possible to make a line color gradient instead of points. I am currently using ArcGIS Pro 3.2.1.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Good morning @StasiaPietraszun, when you say line? do you mean contours? 

Question | Analyze | Visualize
0 Kudos
StasiaPietraszun
New Contributor II

I've never used contours yet, but from what I do know about them, they show more vertices to indicate elevation or whatever you want them to measure? We are hoping to get a flat, 2d representation of elevation across a line tool, and assign DEM to the line to create a color gradient. I'm not sure if this is possible? I did some research already but had a hard time finding anything, so I thought I would check on here before moving forward.

0 Kudos
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi @StasiaPietraszun, thank you for providing the additional info so I think Create contour lines in ArcGIS Pro, can help you.

Since you have a DEM raster I would look under the Use the Contour Function section.

Ed__0-1709053853847.png

Once the contour lines have been created, you can symbolize (apply color gradient) them using the elevation (Z) attribute.

Question | Analyze | Visualize
StasiaPietraszun
New Contributor II

I will try this out. Thank you!!