Select to view content in your preferred language

Customizing Locator definitions in ArcGIS Pro

08-16-2021 08:34 AM
JustinMartinek
New Contributor II

Is there any up-to-date guidance in customizing ArcGIS Pro locator definitions similar to how ArcGIS 10 had the attached technical paper for customizing locator definitions?

15 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Bryan:

What you described sounds like something we would want to investigate. What version of ArcGIS Pro are you using? I would suggest opening a ticket with Support. Do you get the same behavior if you use the POI role and map the parcel id or PIN to the Place Name role field? Do you get the same behavior if you use the Create Feature Locator tool to build the locator for the parcel id?

-Shana

0 Kudos
BryanLynn1
New Contributor III

Thanks for the suggestions Shana. Unfortunately, both the POI role and the Feature Locator did the same thing and stripped out one of the spaces. I will open a support ticket.

I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.0.2

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Bryan,

Thanks for the update. I did try to replicate what you described and was not able to in Pro 3.0.2. If you could provide a sample of your data, perhaps just the parcel id or the parcel id and the fields you mapped to create the locator. Are you batch geocoding when you run into this problem or search in the Locate pane?

-Shana

0 Kudos
HelenZhou
Occasional Contributor II

@ShanaBritt I have similar request about customizing the locator role with the new "Create Locator" tool. 

We used to use Create Address locator to create a locator and publish it as geocoding service in ArcGIS server 10.8.1. Now we are migrating to use Create locator in ArcGIS Pro 3.0 to create locator.

We were able to modify "US single house address" to a customized locator style so that the output candidate field name can be modified - for example from default StName to Streetname. 

In ArcGIS Pro 3.0.2 using Create Locator tool, it looks like we can no longer create a customized role to implement this customization. Is this the case for this new tool?

ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

@HelenZhou

Customizations to the locator roles and the default output fields are not supported for the Create Locator tool.

However, the Create Locator tool allows you to add up to 50 custom output fields that are returned in the geocode results. You could add the field names that you want returned like Streetname and assign the field from your data to the custom field that is listed in the Field Map section of the tool. In the locator properties Output fields page you can uncheck all of the fields you do not want returned in the output. When ArcGIS Pro 3.1 is released the Geocode Addresses tool will have an option that returns the minimal fields plus the custom user fields that were added when the locator was built. See step 9 in https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geocoding/create-a-locator.htm.

ShanaBritt_0-1669079944568.png

Outside of the output field names, is there anything else you customized in the classic locator for your workflow that you are unsure is possible with the Create Locator tool?

HelenZhou
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks @ShanaBritt . That is exactly what I want. Thanks so much for providing this workaround. Actually I have already used the custom output fields in my locator. I don't realize that we can have up to 50 of them. That is really useful. I am looking forward to the Pro 3.1 which can remove some unnecessary output fields. 

0 Kudos