Customize the Ribbon lost settings

Jump to solution
05-10-2022 10:43 AM
L77
by
Occasional Contributor

I am using the Customize the Ribbon tool to create ribbons for our organization to use.

I worked on it for awhile this morning but it suddenly reverted back to where I had left off editing about an hour previously. 

I was working on a project on my PC, then opened a new project on the server to create a template for our staff to use. The ribbon showed up fine in both locations then suddenly reverted back. I am wondering if I broke it somehow. I saved the project several times so I know it wasn't a saving issue.

This is what it reverted back to:

Lorraine77_0-1652204329256.png

Lorraine77_1-1652204351878.png

This is how it looked before the settings reverted back:

Lorraine77_2-1652204391356.png

Lorraine77_3-1652204409176.png

Lorraine77_4-1652204428831.png

As a side note I haven't done this before, so if there is something I need to do to save the ribbons so I can add them back again if they get lost let me know. I want to create this for our whole organization to use.

When I do software updates to newer versions of pro will it delete the ribbon? I just want to figure this out and be able to plan ahead.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

I love the way you've organized things! That shouldn't happen though...it should save with your application preferences. I'll let someone wiser than I weigh in on exactly where, but they should live somewhere inside your C:\Users\<User>\AppData folders. Nothing jumped out at me when I peeked; I don't know enough about the organization of the Local\Esri\ArcGIS Pro or Roaming\Esri\ArcGIS Pro folders but based on my experience of resetting those, I know it's somewhere in there. Do you have something that may have reset those folders, such as a PC that wipes itself on reboot?

In the future, though, you can use that "Import/Export" button to save your customizations to a text file, which can be sent to different users and re-imported should you ever lose it again. It's also editable to some degree in a text editor, though few details are available as to how. I know that you can change the size of things from 'large' to 'small' and rearrange things easily enough.

Export option:

rburkebsrc_2-1652205252681.png

Custom tab w/ small icons:

rburkebsrc_0-1652205197914.png

Text file with size options:

rburkebsrc_1-1652205239103.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

I love the way you've organized things! That shouldn't happen though...it should save with your application preferences. I'll let someone wiser than I weigh in on exactly where, but they should live somewhere inside your C:\Users\<User>\AppData folders. Nothing jumped out at me when I peeked; I don't know enough about the organization of the Local\Esri\ArcGIS Pro or Roaming\Esri\ArcGIS Pro folders but based on my experience of resetting those, I know it's somewhere in there. Do you have something that may have reset those folders, such as a PC that wipes itself on reboot?

In the future, though, you can use that "Import/Export" button to save your customizations to a text file, which can be sent to different users and re-imported should you ever lose it again. It's also editable to some degree in a text editor, though few details are available as to how. I know that you can change the size of things from 'large' to 'small' and rearrange things easily enough.

Export option:

rburkebsrc_2-1652205252681.png

Custom tab w/ small icons:

rburkebsrc_0-1652205197914.png

Text file with size options:

rburkebsrc_1-1652205239103.png

0 Kudos
L77
by
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, I appreciate that. Everyone here is using ArcMap, so I want it to be easy for them to use ArcPro when we transition them over.

I exported the customization like you suggested so I will have it in case it breaks again.

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Great! Your tabs do look very friendly for someone coming from ArcMap - I may steal them!

L77
by
Occasional Contributor

I attached the file for you, hopefully it works.

wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Hey thanks a bunch!

0 Kudos