Custom basemap, labels only, in Pro

Jump to solution
01-04-2022 11:48 AM
JayHodny
Occasional Contributor III

Hello.  I am working on a map for an upcoming comprehensive development plan.  Our planning department likes the map so far, except that some of the text labeling is covered by polygons (e.g., parks, FEMA; see first screen shot).  I am using the Streets (with relief) reference basemap.  I ventured into the Vector Tile Style Editor, saved Streets as a new style, and switched off visibility on all map elements except the text labeling of interest (see second screen shot).  The plan is (was) to continue to use the original Streets reference basemap, and add in the "Label only" tile layer into my Pro project map and layout.  I know this would be a duplication of labels (stacked on each other).  I am assuming that without changing the font size, halo, or font type, the top label layer will simply hide/cover the reference basemap labeling, in place.  The no labels layer would be placed above the polygon layers eliminating the partial labeling.  However, when I add the tile layer to the Pro map, it appears that everything I turned off (visibility) in the Tile Editor, still shows in the map. (see third screen shot).  I was expecting only to see the labels.  The layer referenced in the tile layer is World_Basemap_v2.  I have tried making a copy of the layer, as well as sharing as a layer file, and adding them into the Pro project, but the display results are the same (seen in the third screen shot).

I don't understand what is going on, or what I need to do.  I simply want a layer of labels I can place in the Table of Contents that won't be partially hidden by other map features.  Perhaps there is another way to accomplish this and I have my blinders on?  Any help would be appreciated.

Reference basemap (Streets with relief) labeling partially blocked.

JayHodny_0-1641323583341.png

Vector Tile Style Editor result, showing only the labels I am interested in.

JayHodny_1-1641323732803.png

After adding the new "labels only" tile layer.  Park and FEMA polygons, and anything below this layer in the TofC, is completely hidden by the tile layer.

JayHodny_2-1641324671436.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MervynLotter

In the latest release of ArcGis Pro you can apply Blending which should maintain the details of the underlying labels 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Can you move the label only tile layer down below the other features you say are being covered?  Then, maybe use transparency or solid outline with no fill color for your polygons as to not cover the labels in the basemap?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
JayHodny

Hi Amanda,

I have toyed with that idea as well.  While the transparency works in my Map frame (first screen shot), and I think my Planning group could use it, in the Layout frame the transparency does not appear to be honored (second screen shot).  So frustrating!  I would still like to understand why I am not getting a label only layer.  Thank you for your great help, and Happy New Year!

JayHodny_0-1641328368546.png

JayHodny_1-1641328398355.png

JayHodny

I kept changing the transparency back and forth until it stuck long enough for me to export the layout.  In both the map frame and the layout frame the transparency was not persistent.  Ugghh!!

ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

You're welcome and Happy New Year to you too!

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
MervynLotter

In the latest release of ArcGis Pro you can apply Blending which should maintain the details of the underlying labels 

JayHodny

Hello Mervyn,

Thank you for the tip on using blending.  I was aware of blending, but had never tried.  After some trial and error on the blending choices, I found one that displayed the labeling sufficiently (I hope) for our needs.  I am still interested in working with custom basemaps, but for now I have what was needed.  Many thanks and Happy New Year!