Create Line segments from Point Locations referencing Linear feature

Jump to solution
12-12-2022 07:08 AM
kapalczynski
Occasional Contributor III

Starting point:

• I have a point file that denote Start and End Locations
  • I have a road file that should to the roads

I am trying to create road segments that start at the start point and end at the end point.  So I am trying to extract those road segments in-between the sets of points.  NOTE:  There can be overlap between Start/End Point 1 and Start/End Point2.  So I need multiple road segments in the output that might have overlap between them.

I started by Snapping the Points to the road.

I also have a similar Points file that is snapped and Dissolved  by a unique identifier.

I have network analyst but I am very rusty.....Any thoughts on how I can achieve this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

I think your input data is already set up to be used directly. So try this: 

Convert your point feature class to a table using the Export table tool and write to a table called TSM_FeaturesOutp_ExportTable and then use the Make Route Event Layer to create your lines as follows:

JaySandhu_0-1670886730329.png

Hope this is the output you are looking for.

Jay Sandhu

View solution in original post

13 Replies
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@kapalczynski The use case/workflow is better handled through Linear Referencing (simple functions) and Roads and Highways  (advanced functions).

You can get started with the following references:

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos
kapalczynski

OK so I have a linear referenced road feature that has M values. I can identify to see those distance along the line

I have a Feature Class with XY of start and End....I am not sure where to go from here....

Do I have to go into the point FC and create a new field to identify the road segment the point is on?

Not sure cause I do not have distance along a road for those points I only have the XY

kapalczynski_0-1670863791682.png

0 Kudos
kapalczynski

@AyanPalit  OK so I took my point Feature Class with the XY values and ran it against the Roads with M values (Locate Features Along Route) and I ended up with a Table that has the point locations and a new field called MEAS which seems to get the distance the point location is along the road...

Now I want to select the road segment that falls between 2 specific points and right that to a new Line Feature Class.  Noting that there can be overlaps between the other point sets...

I think I am doing this correct?

0 Kudos
kapalczynski

@AyanPalit  Now just trying to export that Line segment between the 2 point locations and do this for every pair of points. Noting there is overlap between some of the points.

Is this possible?

kapalczynski_0-1670867081628.png

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

I believe you are on the right track and kudos on using Locate Features Along Route GP in your workflow. Note that you may use the Locate Features Along Route GP on a point or linear feature (road segments). Processing linear feature will produce a table with attributes FMEAS (from measure) and TMEAS (to measure). All records with spatial coincidence with the road routes are processed , including overlaps. You may then use Make Route Event Layer

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos
kapalczynski

@AyanPalit  I am very confused at this point...

You would think that if I had my road layer with M values and a Point layer with measurements along that road layer that I would run a tool and extract the road segments that are between those point locations.  I guess I need to know what format the data needs to be in and what tool to run

1. I have a point FC with a bunch of records ... Well there is one record for the Start Location and one record for the End Location.  Do I need to dissolve these?  I am not sure how to take these point locations that have a measurement along the Road FC and extract the road segment that lies between the points and place that in a different line FC.

Do I need to create a new FC that has a From Measure field and a To Measure field with those values I calculated?  In a sense taking the existing point sets and combine them into one row with a Start and End Field value?

I cannot quite figure out the next step.  I don't think my data is in a format to do what I am trying to do.

I cannot figure out your comment below because I have a Line Feature (Roads) and a point Feature (Start and End points in separate rows).  The below comment is not making sense.  It wont let me put in Roads as the Input and then Points as the Input Route Features.... 

"Note that you may use the Locate Features Along Route GP on a point or linear feature (road segments). Processing linear feature will produce a table with attributes FMEAS (from measure) and TMEAS (to measure). "

Thanks for your help thus far.

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

If you have your own road line features, you can create a network dataset on them. Then you can create a Route analysis layer, add your start and end points as Stops and solve a shortest path route. This will return you back a line feature of the shortest path. If that is all you need then you are done. If you need the individual original street features that make up that route then you run the GP tool Copy Traversed Source Features.

Output from Copy Traversed Source Features—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

If this is the work flow you want to follow, I would suggest going through couple of the Network Analyst tutorials to get you started.  Especially:

Create a network dataset—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

and

Find the shortest path and generate directions with Route—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Regards,

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
kapalczynski

OK @AyanPalit and @JaySandhu now I'm confused even more... I know there are a ton of ways to approach problems as I am being told two ways here... 

• I attached my Point Feature Class that has to fields at the end 'ToMeasure' and 'FromMeasur'
  • I attached a road segment with M values.
  • RTE_NM was used for the 'Locate Features Along Route'

What would be the best solution to get an output of 580 line features that correspond to the records in the Point FC 'ToMeasure' and 'FromMeasur' Fields.

I am looking to get 580 road segments that mirror the Route FC that are between each of the 580 Locations per the Measure fields.

Really Appreciate your help with this.

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Looks like you need a linear referencing solution and NOT a routing solution.

You need to turn your Route95 line features into linearly referenced routes with appropriate calibrations. Then your point features with the start and end measures are really an Event table with linear events based on these linearly referenced routes.

For example, the first point, has a route name: R-VA IS00095NB and From Measure: 89.618 and To Measure 91.943

To return back a line feature between these two measure values for multiple records, you can use the Locate Feature Along Route tool. But for that to work, you need to provide the Route95 set up as linearly referenced routes with that measure units so positions like 89.618 to 91.943 can be figured out.

Locate Features Along Routes (Linear Referencing)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

You can use the Create Routes tool to turn the Route95 lines into appropriate routes. But I am not sure what measure values to use to calibrate them for your measure values. Tool info:

Create Routes (Linear Referencing)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos