Jump to solution
01-18-2024 12:35 PM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 3.2.1; file geodatabase.

Background:

In a mobile geodatabase, I can create the following database view without issue:

select
    population_centre,
    population_2021
from
    cities
order by
    population_2021 desc

But if I try to create the same view in a file geodatabase, then I get ERROR 999999:

Bud_0-1705609695126.png

The culprit seems to be the ORDER BY clause. If I were to remove the ORDER BY, then I could create the view.

select
    population_centre,
    population_2021
from
    cities

But that would defeat the purpose of the view: to sort population_2021 (descending). 

I'm aware that there is a Sort geoprocessing tool. But I don't want to use it since it outputs a static FC. I want a dynamic query.

Related:

Esri Case #03531064 - Create FGDB database view using the ORDER BY clause: ERROR 999999

...this is a known defect that will sadly not be addressed at this time. The 'ORDER BY' parameter must not be used as a part of a view as it is not supported on all views in many data sources. This applies to a file geodatabase and many RDBMS, for example, Oracle.

BUG-000133228 The Create Database View (Data Management) tool fails when a derived field is used in the ORDER BY clause.

BUG-000134186 The 'Create Database View' tool fails to create a new view, and returns an error message, "Error 999999: Something unexpected caused the tool to fail." when the 'ORDER BY' parameter is used for a file geodatabase in ArcGIS Pro.

Question:

Are there any workarounds for this issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

I can wrap it in an outer query:

select
from
    (
select population_centre, population_2021 from cities order by population_2021 desc )

Now, I can create the view without issue. The ORDER BY works as expected.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

I can wrap it in an outer query:

select
from
    (
select population_centre, population_2021 from cities order by population_2021 desc )

Now, I can create the view without issue. The ORDER BY works as expected.

0 Kudos