create a webgis with web app builder starting with an existing postgreSQL database

07-08-2021 06:32 AM
ALESSANDRASPREAFICO
New Contributor II

Hi everyone, I am a PhD student at Politecnico di Torino (Italy) and I am currently working with an existing postgreSQL database running on a remote server in San Diego. 

I established the connection with a VPN and succesfully created the database connection in ArcGIS Pro 2.7.

I created the spatial type and enabled the database as enterprise geodatabase. I registered the tables already existing and I am able to edit them both in ArcGIS Pro and postgreSQL. I have to recreated the relationships because the foreign keys inserted in postgreSQL are not read by ArcGIS Pro. I add a new feature class and a table. Now I want to publish the geodatabase online, for example with Web App Builder that I have alredy tested publishing an ArcGIS project containing shapefiles.

I would like to publish all the entities contained in the remote geodatabase. Do I need to puslish it with ArcGIS Server? Or is there any other solution?

Thank you for the support

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

The way I do it, sorry if this is too much detail but it helps me to think out all the steps...

In ArcGIS Server, (https://yourdomain/server/manager/site.html) under Data Stores,  register the PostgreSQL server with your ArcGIS Server site. (Click where it says "Register: Database")

In ArcGIS Pro,

Make sure you are signed in to your ArcGIS Server with an account that can publish data.

Add the data you want to publish to a map. You should be able to create a new connection to the database (in the Catalog under Databases) and then see the table you are interested in. 

Use "Share as Web Layer" and use "Reference registered data, Map Image, Feature", and set "Share with" to whatever you want, "Everyone" or a group.

I usually manage the maps I use in apps from the web, so I'd create the map in Portal, then add the new layer, and save. It is possible to create the map in Pro and then publish it but I find that making small changes to it afterwards is a pain.

Create an app in Web AppBuilder and use the map.

0 Kudos
ALESSANDRASPREAFICO
New Contributor II

Thank you very much!

I'll try it!

0 Kudos