Copy/paste features in ArcGIS Pro - how?

Jump to solution
04-20-2015 08:48 AM
SaraKidd
New Contributor III

Trying to copy/paste selected features from one layer to another layer in ArcGIS Pro (file geodatabase). I have used Select by Attribute to grab the features of interest, click on Copy, then click Paste. It seems to be just making a copy of the whole layer. It did not copy the selected features and did not paste them into another layer. It seems there is supposed to be a "Paste special" option but that is not activated - only the regular paste. What am I missing? Thanks.

Tags (3)
28 Replies
BrianFausel
Occasional Contributor III

Jennifer's response (click Map View tab to make it have focus) was the answer in my case.

0 Kudos
NickHarvey
Occasional Contributor

+1

0 Kudos
ZachAnderson2
New Contributor II

I just updated to 2.1.3 and this is still an issues/buggy. You still need to make sure that the Map tab is the "focus" before paste special will become available. 

deleted-user-Kq6tBi-9bAzM
New Contributor II

Unfortunately, I still get the error "Paste Features failed" (Pro 2.2.3). Perhaps this is better than yesterday (2.2.1) when it created a new feature but without any geometry.  

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Have you gotten this functionality to work in 2.2.3?

0 Kudos
deleted-user-Kq6tBi-9bAzM
New Contributor II

I did. Tried again just now and it was as simple as you would expect it to be. Worked with right-click Copy. Also worked with ribbon bar Copy and Paste Special buttons. It even brought across attributes in a predictable manner. 

Edit: this afternoon I am using cadastral polygons from a different state and it is pasting property parcels with empty geometry... so I'm going to say this is a problem with my data from one state rather than an ArcPro issue. Strange because both datasets appear the same to me. Will update if I can find the source of my issues.

0 Kudos
MistiWudtke2
New Contributor III

Still an issue in 2.3.1 but focusing the current map pane works--thanks!

0 Kudos
JonDouglas
New Contributor III

thanks Jennifer

0 Kudos
JohnSobetzer
Regular Contributor III

ArcGIS Pro currently lacks quite a bit of functionality that is in ArcMap.  I'll hazard a guess that the inability to copy and paste as you would like is what ESRI would call "functionality to be added in later versions" or some language like that.   During the beta testing that was the answer given from ESRI when it was discovered that features could not be copied and pasted using the keyboard commands (ctrl+c and ctrl+v).  Nevertheless I suggest you contact tech support so that they can pass the information on to those working on later Pro versions since I don't believe this difference in selection methods for copying and pasting came up in the beta testing.

JenniferCadkin
Esri Contributor

ctrl+c and ctrl+v are working to copy and paste features within a single feature layer.   At this time we do not support these shortcut keys to paste to a different layer.  As with copy/paste from the ribbon, the map will need to have focus.

0 Kudos