copy map frame formats and paste it to other frames in the same layout

10-24-2021 10:07 PM
SalahAjjur
New Contributor III

Hi,

I usually create multiple maps in the same layout, so I need to adjust layout dimensions and elements (e.g., legend, scale bar, north arrow) in one map frame and copy their formats into other frames.

Is there a direct way to do this in ArcGIS Pro?

Thanks,

Salah 

5 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Salah,

There a couple ways you can do this. You can save a style from your formatted layout element (ex: scale bar, north arrow, etc...). Or, you can copy the formatted element, open it's properties and redirect the source map frame of the element to a different map frame.

Hope this helps,

Tom

0 Kudos
SalahAjjur
New Contributor III

Thanks Tom for the reply.

Both solutions do not place the formatted layer element in the same position in the frame. One should move the element and adjust it manually. Is there a way to avoid this?

Salah

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

There is nothing in the UI that automatically places new layout elements, though you could use ArcPy to write code to do this. As inserting an element for the first time, copy and pasting elements will require you to size and position the element manually as you see fit. For tighter control you can set size and position values through the element properties pane (last tab in the dialog).

I'm not sure I'm following your workflow.  You state "Both solutions do not place the formatted layer element in the same position in the frame." Same position as what exactly? Are you trying to overwrite existing elements by having them point to a new map frames?  If so, you can do this through the properties pane. Swapping the source map for map frames and swapping the source map frame for map surround elements (legend, scale bar, etc...) can be done without having to create duplicate elements.

You might also want to consider using Layout Files as templates with pre-configured element positions for your layouts.

0 Kudos
SalahAjjur
New Contributor III

I often prepare a layout with several maps for the same region. For example, to show topography, landuse, slope, soil characteristics, etc. Mostly, the layout elements such as scale bar, north arrow, and legend size will be typical in all maps. Setting the size and calibrating the position for these elements in each map frame are time-consuming. I, therefore, asked for a feature that enables users to do this easily.

I suggest the user can insert these elements into each map. Then he can copy the format from one map to the others. This would be a great feature!

Thanks,

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Salah, 

The functionality that you are looking for can be accomplished by using Layout Files.

Tom 

0 Kudos