Convert to LAZ Tool Stuck at 2%

02-26-2023 09:27 AM
Labels (2)
KenadiLynn
New Contributor II

I have a series of LAZ datasets that I need to convert to LAS so I can create a DEM. I've tried processing an entire quadrant of a quadrangle at once, and then a single LAZ, and each time it's stuck at 2% indefinitely. I've had the process running for 2 hours and it didn't budge. 

At first, I thought it was a hardware issue because I had just over the bare minimum RAM required, so I upgraded that and still had the problem. However, I've found a post on StackExchange where someone was having the same problem. Additionally, when I re-tried the process this morning with a single LAZ file, I finally received an error message, which really told me nothing. I can run other processes just fine, but this one is just not working at all.

KenadiLynn_0-1677432280153.png

Has anyone else experienced this and have a good workaround?

For additional context, I used all default settings except for Define Input Coordinate System, which I set to All LAS Files since I knew the coordinate system.

Edit to add that I'm using LasTools currently as my workaround, but I'd like to keep everything in a single software, as I should be able to.

7 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
KenadiLynn
New Contributor II

Unless I'm missing something from that workflow where the poster was also unable to process the tool at all, it won't. The issue I'm experiencing prevents me from even completing the first step of that workflow.  I am completely unable to use the Convert LAS tool. It will not complete processing. It's either stuck on 2% for hours, or it throws the attached error message. 

Thank you for trying to find a good solution for me though!

wizgis
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @KenadiLynn 

This sounds like a performance issue and there can be many reasons for it. To start narrowing down the issue can you please share the following details :

1. What is the version of ArcGIS Pro you are using. 

2. Does your system has a dedicated graphic card like NVIDIA, AMD etc. 

3. Would it be possible for you to access the properties of LAZ file from catalog pane and check the number of points present in the dataset. 

0 Kudos
KenadiLynn
New Contributor II

1. I'm on 3.1, the latest update.

2. Yes, I have an NVIDIA P520 GPU, which is listed as one of the supported GPUs.

3. I've been unable to see them in the catalog pane because they're .LAZ files, which aren't supported.

I know I was able to process this kind of data on 2.9, but I can't on 3.1.

wizgis
by

@KenadiLynn  

Thank you for sharing the details.  I am not sure if you were able to go through this link, https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000027059, if not, you can try the steps mentioned in this link. 

BenCunninghamCville
New Contributor II

The solution/workaround presented in this support article worked for me. I had to disable the Rearrange Points option of the Convert LAS pane, while also specifying the coordinate system for our given area. While I didn't have to do this for the other 4 LiDAR tiles I had already converted from LAZ to LAS, these remaining three holdouts were weighing my work down all day today.

Thanks @wizgis !

0 Kudos
temprobertcottreau131313

you might want to try CloudCompare software.  It is free and excellent for working with point datasets of this type.

0 Kudos