Select to view content in your preferred language

Geodatabase wasn't saved onto Server

03-15-2024 10:26 AM
Labels (1)
MalloryOrr
New Contributor

Trying to access my project on another computer that shares the same server. It seems that the geodatabase is not connected even though the project file is on the same server. Is there a way to connect the geodatabase to the server so that both computers have access to the file with working feature layer links?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

What kind of geodatabase is it?  A file geodatabase (fGDB) or enterprise geodatabase (eGDB)?  If an eGBD, you can run the Create Database Connection tool (Data Management) to create a *.sde connection and save it in your ArcGIS Pro project file (*.aprx).  If fGDB, go to your Catalog Pane, right-click on Databases and select Add Database.  Then navigate to where the fGDB is located on disk, select it and click OK.

0 Kudos
MalloryOrr
New Contributor

How would I know which geodatabase type? 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

If you're working with a file geodatabase, it would have a *.gdb extension that can be viewed via File Explorer on a Windows PC.  Plus you would see that same extension in the ArcGIS Pro Catalog Pane too.  If you're working with an Enterprise geodatabase, it's hosted as a SQL Server, Oracle or PostgreSQL relational database requiring additional licensing and more.

0 Kudos
MalloryOrr
New Contributor

It is a file geodatabase, but the geodatabase is saved on an individual computer instead of the server. So, when I open the project on another computer through the server, all the connections are broken. How do I save the geodatabase to the server with all the current connected feature classes and have the project file only use that geodatabase in the future?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @MalloryOrr - so I would recommend you move the file geodatabase to your server (i.e. file share), then follow the workflow seen here to update the data sources of your *.aprx.  Once the data paths are repointed to the new directory structure and the *.aprx is saved, you "should" no longer see the broken data links you currently see.

0 Kudos