Select to view content in your preferred language

Convert Labels to Anno naming resulting Anno layer

Jump to solution
08-26-2024 02:04 PM
Labels (3)
BrookeAumann
Regular Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 3.3.1

When I go to create annotation from labels, it appears that you can name the resulting anno layer anything you want, but when you check the GDB after processing, it's the same name as the original layer and not what you named it at the bottom where it says output layer. Why? I can go into the GDB and rename, but why can't I do that when they are created? Could do it in ArcMap. Could also append to an existing anno class in ArcMap but now it's multiple layers being "appended" into a new single layer (3 layers minimum) after using a geoprocessing tool.

BrookeAumann_0-1724705857238.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardHowe
Frequent Contributor

The "Output Layer" parameter at the bottom is what the group layer version of the data will be called in your Pro project table of contents, not what the output feature class will be called. The only control you have over the feature class name is changing the suffix in the "Annotation Suffix" parameter where you can add the feature class name you are sourcing it from.

I do agree though you could call the entire feature class what you wanted in ArcMap.

Given that the input is a feature layer though, you could name the annotation what you like by changing the name of your input layer to what you want the annotation output to be called before you ran the tool. Not an ideal workaround...but it does work

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RichardHowe
Frequent Contributor

The "Output Layer" parameter at the bottom is what the group layer version of the data will be called in your Pro project table of contents, not what the output feature class will be called. The only control you have over the feature class name is changing the suffix in the "Annotation Suffix" parameter where you can add the feature class name you are sourcing it from.

I do agree though you could call the entire feature class what you wanted in ArcMap.

Given that the input is a feature layer though, you could name the annotation what you like by changing the name of your input layer to what you want the annotation output to be called before you ran the tool. Not an ideal workaround...but it does work

BrookeAumann
Regular Contributor

Thank you Richard for the suggestions, these are thoughtful workarounds. Frustrating that it's no longer this way, and makes me wonder why? Was so straightforward in ArcMap. It's these little changes that make moving over to Pro challenging. You think things work the same way and they don't, and not only that, adds steps instead of removes.

There are other places where it's a vast improvement, but for my workflows, they left out some basic stuff. I marked as solved so people have a workaround, but ultimately I hope the idea below is implemented. Also being able to append directly to an existing class from the same dialog would be nice as well. I don't want a million temp layers to get to the single layer I actually want to use.

RTPL_AU
Frequent Contributor

Hi,
Please support this idea to have these shortcomings addressed.
https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/ability-to-add-prefix-to-annotation-feature-class/idi...