Confusion over Auto Commit in Join Field Environment Settings

04-14-2022 07:27 AM
JessicaJThompson
Occasional Contributor II

Good Morning,

I have been trying to run a Join Field for a table with over 2,000 records. It kept failing (only 1/2 of the values transferred) despite the fact that I know the input join field and the join table fields match perfectly.

I thought it might have something to do with the Environments setting - Auto Commit value of 1000 (default). I looked at the documentation, but I am confused what "force commit" means, as well as some other language in the document. Any clarification or links to other clarifying documentation would be helpful.

Auto Commit (Environment setting)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Thank you!

Jessica

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Jessica,

I also reviewed the documentation, but I don't see the "force commit" language.  For your join, did you make sure that there isn't a one-to-many or many-to-one relationship between the two tables?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
JessicaJThompson
Occasional Contributor II

Hello @ABishop ,

The join I'm referring to is the join field tool ( Join Field (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation )

The the Auto Commit is in the environments setting of the join field - and the Auto commit documentation ( Auto Commit (Environment setting)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation ) talks about "Tools that honor the Auto Commit environment will force a commit after the specified number of changes have been made within an enterprise geodatabase transaction."

And I am still confused after the intro of the documentation - in the usage notes and the dialog syntax. Like when it says "A higher commit value can improve performance, but this must be weighed against the possibility of losing edits if storage capacity is reached or an error occurs before the commit" or "The interval at which transactions will automatically commit. If set to 0, transactions will commit only when an explicit commit is issued."

I think I know what "commit" means by context.I know its in the weeds but I want to make sure I am understanding it right. 

Thank you for taking the time to think about this.

Cheers,

Jessica