compare two road datasets for direction to flip

Jump to solution
03-31-2022 09:49 AM
L77
by
Occasional Contributor

I have a road dataset from WA DOT and the roads are all pointing in the correct direction for mileposts based on my road log. This dataset only contains roads that are maintained by the county.

I have another dataset with all of the roads in the county, including county maintained, city, state and private, but the direction of these roads are all based on addressing and not mileposts.

I need to do a comparison between the two datasets so I can flip all of the roads in the second dataset to match the direction of the first dataset so I can use it for mileposts. (the second dataset has better linework than the first one so I want to use it).

The tables are different and some of the segments are different because the first dataset just has beginning and ending milepost but the second dataset is broken up at administrative boundaries so I cant just compare them all based on road number because the number of segments will be different.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Sounds like there are non-1:1 correspondences between the two datasets. That may not work well for Feature Compare.

Depending on how "similar" the two datasets are spatially (shape difference, spatial shift, topology, etc.), the Detect Feature Changes (Advanced licensing) with the Compare Line Direction option could be helpful.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/detect-feature-changes.htm

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Feature Compare (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation might work on the geometry field

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor

Sounds like there are non-1:1 correspondences between the two datasets. That may not work well for Feature Compare.

Depending on how "similar" the two datasets are spatially (shape difference, spatial shift, topology, etc.), the Detect Feature Changes (Advanced licensing) with the Compare Line Direction option could be helpful.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/detect-feature-changes.htm

0 Kudos
L77
by
Occasional Contributor

The Detect Feature Change was able to identify the flipped roads. Thank you!

0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor

You are welcome. Glad it worked for you.  Just curious if you could share a sample data with us for testing purpose. If yes, please post here or contact me at dlee@esri.com. Thanks!

0 Kudos