Select to view content in your preferred language

Cluster tolerance vs. Snapping tolerance

Jump to solution
12-13-2023 07:15 PM
Craig_Eissler_Iceman
Occasional Contributor III

I get the general idea of "tolerance", but what is the specific difference between 'Cluster tolerance' and 'Snapping tolerance'?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, the concept is pretty much the same.  They are a defined distance, usually rather small, that do something.  One is used for editing and one is used for spatial analysis.  Just named differently for different workflows.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Great question!  There are differences between cluster tolerances and snapping tolerances are...

Cluster tolerance is used in spatial data analysis and processing. It defines the maximum distance between two points for them to be considered part of the same cluster or group. It helps in simplifying complex datasets by grouping nearby points together. This can be useful for generalization, reducing the number of vertices, and improving performance.

Snapping tolerance is used in editing and digitizing spatial data. It determines the distance within which a vertex or feature will automatically be moved or snapped to another vertex or feature. It helps in aligning and connecting features accurately, ensuring that they are snapped to specific locations or existing features.

0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

Thanks, Robert. OK, so it sounds to me (though, please correct me if I'm wrong) that the "concept" is pretty-much the same thing; they're used in different circumstances, and so the terms are just "named" differently..?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, the concept is pretty much the same.  They are a defined distance, usually rather small, that do something.  One is used for editing and one is used for spatial analysis.  Just named differently for different workflows.

0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

OK thanks for that clarification, Robert!