Chart Frames Broken (possibly related to latest ArcPro update- 2.3.1)

03-21-2019 09:33 AM
JessiePechmann2
New Contributor II

Hi all,

After installing the latest patch, my ArcPro has lost the ability to load any Chart Frames in a Layout. This applies to adding a Chart Frame for the first time, and loading Chart Frames in existing projects layouts. It will load for over an hour, so I do not think more time would help. The Chart Frame will just never load or Pro will crash. I have tried this across new and old layouts, with multiple different table sources. No luck.

I believe I have it narrowed down to the latest update. My colleague on 2.3.1 has the same issue. My other colleague on 2.0 does not have this problem. 

Note creating charts has no problem. It is only when adding the frame to the layout when it freezes/will not load. 

Things I have tried to troubleshoot:

• Uninstalled update patch 2.3.1 (now running 2.3). However, even projects made initially (before I updated) and recently (after uninstalling) at 2.3 still will not work. 
  • I have slow internet, so I put my computer on airplane mode to disconnect from any wifi.
  • Uninstalled all Windows updates that had installed after my last successful Chart Frame (last week). 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jessie

14 Replies
JohnBrand
New Contributor III

I'm having the same probelm using 2.5

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi John, 

Currently, we are unaware of any specific issue with inserting Chart Frame into a page layout with 2.5. Have you contacted tech support?  They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support

In the meantime, try exporting the chart to an .svg file.  You can do this in the Chart View. See the "Share your chart" section under the help topic Charts quick tour—Charts | ArcGIS Desktop for more information.

Then bring the file you created into the layout page as a Picture element. See the "Insert pictures" section in the following help topic - https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/layouts/add-and-modify-graphics-and-text.htm for more information.

Hope this helps, 

Tom

0 Kudos
skyhook
New Contributor II

Same problem in 2.6 & 2.8 on two different machines that don't utilize network connections.... Furthermore, I cannot export charts to svg, png, or jpg.  Basically, all charting functionality seems broken. 

0 Kudos
JamesSerendip1
New Contributor III

Currently Using 2.9.3 and have a similar issue:  I CAN add chart frames to a layout, BUT the charts that show up in the layout are missing about half of their categories, so they are unusable.  I was able to use the previously provided workaround of exporting the chart as an image file and inserting that in the layout, but it seems like there is still a bug in use of chart frames in a layout in ArcGIS Pro 2.9.3.  Hopefully that is fixed in 3.0

0 Kudos
JamesSerendip1
New Contributor III

I have also had no end of problems with chart frames, to the point they are basically unusable because they so often leave out random parts of the data for no reason I can find, and can't find documentation about this issue other than here, which is surprising. 

I am currently using 3.0, and again noticed a chart I placed in a layout was missing a set of values.  But WORSE, when I tried to SELECT one of those values in the layer's attribute table to see what that would do to the chart, the chart frame DID place a single point for that data, and everything else disappeared, showing only the selected point.  However after I cleared the selection, still any and every chart frame I make from that data shows ONLY the one point I previously selected.  If I look at the actual charts, the data all shows.  I have done every possible unselect, clear selection.  NOTHING is selected.  Even closed and reopened Pro (which solves way too many of my Pro problems if you ask me... but that's part of the SaaS world I guess), but now no matter what I do I cannot get a cart frame to show anything except that one point that it did not show previously.  Unless I can get some real concrete solutions, and not a bunch of run-around, I am officially done with trying to use charts in Pro.  I can't believe such a key function can remain so broken for so long.  Very very disappointing.

0 Kudos