Change Symbology of Hosted Feature Layer with ArcGIS Pro?

10-11-2020 05:52 PM
PeterTQFES
Occasional Contributor

I think this is more of an Idea than a question.

If I have a hosted feature layer on Portal or AGOL and drag down to Pro I can change the symbology.

Is there way to push that symbology back to Portal or AGOL? 

And how about Views?

I can't seem to find anything in Help.

Peter T, Brisbane
Tags (2)
10 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi GIS Unit PSBA‌,

If I understand correctly you are changing the symbology of a hosted feature layer on the fly in ArcGIS Pro?

Unfortaunely as far as I am aware you won't be able to push that symbology back to the hosted feature unless you republish/overwrite the hosted feature layer with the new symbology. This is because the feature layer stores the default symbology & configuration as park of the layer's service and your symbology in Pro is not influencing the feauture service it's changes are only on Pro.

Is this feature one of yours or another organisations feature layer?

Hopefully that helps!

Cheers,

Cam

PeterTQFES
Occasional Contributor

I own the service.

I had symbols - simple triangles - where I wanted to add a few more feature types and there are no triangles in the options.  So I have to rebuild within AGOL all the symbols to match one that exists in the web interface.

Or I go back to ArcGIS Pro and overwrite my service??

Also gets more complex where I have Views on that host service.

It's a shame that symbology can't be modified by Pro without an overwrite.   Overwriting is painful in this case because the data is being edited up on the hosted service.  So I would have to download the data and then republish...   Could be very difficult if there is editor tracking on?

We're using Pro more and more and was probably hoping for miracles.

Peter T, Brisbane
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey GIS Unit PSBA‌,

For the use case you have mentioned above and if it is live data, the easiest method I see would be to edit in AGOL the referenced symbology in layer in the web map that you are using (like your screenshot).

If you edit the symbology in Pro to make those changes avaiable you would have to republish the web map.

Hopefully that helps.

Unfortunately that capability to update symbology on the fly of a web maps feature layer in AGOL/Portal is not avaliable.

Cheers,

Cam

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

How did you go GIS Unit PSBA‌?

0 Kudos
PeterTQFES
Occasional Contributor

We'll just have to use the web interface in AGOL/Portal to edit symbology.

I need to put an Idea in.   The web interface for symbology editing needs an update or ArcGIS Pro needs to be able to edit existing hosted symbology.    We've got hosted layers with multiple views.   It's a very slow and painful process to update all of them.   Contemplating scripting the symbology edits.

Peter T, Brisbane
GIS_MJ
by
New Contributor III

Have you created an idea for this? I run into this problem all the time. Our workflow is to create a hosted feature layer with full editing control and work with a team to update the data. We then usually  want to update the symbology in the hosted feature layer so that we can use the symbology in one of our web apps. I've found the only way to update symbology for the hosted feature layer is to download a fgdb of the data, resymbolize the data and overwrite the original hosted feature layer. It would be much easier if I could update the hosted feature layer symbology in ArcGIS Pro and have those changes reflected in ArcGIS Online. 

BrittanyBurson
Occasional Contributor III

100% agree. We need an idea posted for this. I can't even make my edits manually in the Visualization tab because I have been using the Map Viewer Beta symbols (need to change POI icons from white background to a color, with white icon). 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I totalle agree, @GIS_MJ . this is a big problem

davepete22
New Contributor II

I'm going to have to agree with this 100% also.  It's a big pain to have to overwrite a hosted feature layer.  It would see like it shouldn't be that difficult to push symbology to a hosted feature layer.  However changing symbology in the feature service itself in AGO is very tedious and had nowhere near the capability of ArcGIS Pro.  Hopefully this will be addressed.