Change default symbology

Jump to solution
04-06-2021 09:21 AM
Labels (2)
IanPryor1
New Contributor III

How do you change default symbology for feature classes?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

If the question is setting default symbology when you add a new feature class to a map view, then that functionality is not present in ArcGIS Pro 2.7.x but coming in a future release.  Is that what you mean?  There is an enhancement request to add this functionality - ENH-000137090.  The workaround for the time being is the "Import Symbology from Layer" GP tool.

View solution in original post

22 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

If the question is setting default symbology when you add a new feature class to a map view, then that functionality is not present in ArcGIS Pro 2.7.x but coming in a future release.  Is that what you mean?  There is an enhancement request to add this functionality - ENH-000137090.  The workaround for the time being is the "Import Symbology from Layer" GP tool.

IanPryor1
New Contributor III

Yes that is what I would like to do. Good to know its coming in future release but disappointing to add another very basic feature to the "missing" bin.

Thanks for quick response.

JonathanPollack
Occasional Contributor

Any update on when this will be available?  It is a big pain.  Esri seemed to pick default symbology that is usually nearly invisible on the map and EVERY time I add a new layer to the map I have to modify symbology to make lines thinker, colors darker, point symbols larger, etc.  If we can't allow user to set default symbology then at least Esri can change the existing to defaults to symbols that are clearly visible.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

@JonathanPollack - ENH-000137090 is currently under review according to the request.

0 Kudos
NicholasBarger
Occasional Contributor III

I see this question was answered... but at this time I have the same problem...so I'll ask the same question again.  We're using ArcGIS Pro 2.9 and today we realized that the default symbology for our parcels layer in SDE is set to my configuration.  This also includes my popup configuration as well.

I see some advantages to this.   It keeps everyone looking at the same layer the same way.  It also helps the casual GIS user pull in the popup configuration without having to do much work.  However, it has some serious problems.  The field that we used to symbolize out parcel file is called PARCEL_TYPE.  The field name is 11 characters long.  So, when I export this layer as a shapefile it brings along the symbology and popup configuration only to have the PARCEL_TYPE field truncated to PARCEL_TYP in the shapefile.  This causes the symbology to be broken as well as the popup information for that field to be broken.

So, my questions is the same as the original.  How do I change the default symbology of a layer in SDE with  ArcGIS Pro 2.9?

EmiliaWalton1
New Contributor II

I have the same issue! Suddenly one of our SDE layers is loading up with the same symbology for everyone, that I happened to have displaying a few months ago. The default was clearly changed or set at some point, so it seems strange there is not way to change it to something else.

JoeChaconas
New Contributor II

I know this was a while ago, but did you ever find an answer for this? I'm having the same thing happen to a layer of mine. It's actually kind of nice, but I'd like be able to configure it. 

Laura
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I would also like to change the default symbology for a layer in an SDE

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Did this ever make it into any of the future releases?

R_