Select to view content in your preferred language

Cannot load or run Notebooks in ArcGIS Pro 3.3 (Kernel Died; issue cloning environment)

09-17-2024 12:54 PM
Labels (1)
ccaduff
New Contributor

About a week ago I started running into an issue with the Jupyter Notebook feature within ArcGIS Pro. I have several notebooks that I had been working on and running cells, but one day everything just stopped working. The only indication of what had happened was a red error message in the top right corner of the active notebook reading "Kernel Died." Selecting the error notification gives a little more insight with an error reading: 

AttributeError: 'IOLoopKernelManager' object has no attribute 'kernel_cmd'

Naturally I started browsing the internet and ran into several posts concerning the same issue, such as this one: 

https://community.esri.com/t5/python-questions/kernel-error-failed-to-start-the-kernel-arcgis-pro/td... 

The only solution that anyone in any of the threads I have read has said to work is doing a complete and total reinstall of ArcGIS Pro, including deleting: 

C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Local\ESRI 

I tried this and after working for a day I was met with the same error the following day. I resolved to use an external IDE instead of bothering with constantly reinstalling ArcGIS Pro, but continued to use the broken notebook to store various iterations of the script I was writing. Now I cannot even load the notebook; it simply crashes ArcGIS Pro. I decided to do another round of searches for this issue specifically, and found this thread:
https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/failed-to-load-notebook/td-p/1235513

in which one of the answers suggests cloning the default arcgispro-py3 environment in the Package Manager. As a side note, I noticed that I cannot update the packages in the default environment, and so I wondered if cloning the environment would allow me to update the packages and maybe solve all the Notebook issues. When I attempted to do this I was met with another error, once again related to Jupyter Notebook, when the attempt to create the environment failed at the step where it attempts to install 'pro_notebook_integration-3.1' into the environment:

PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'C:\\Users\\Casey Caduff\\.jupyter\\nbconfig\\notebook.json'
return code: 1
()

I once again tried to find a solution to this issue, but nothing in either of these two threads was able to help: 

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/cannot-clone-environment-arcgis-pro-3-0/td-p/1186...

https://github.com/jupyter/notebook/issues/7421

I suspect all of these issues are related, but admittedly I know little of how the inner workings of Jupyter Notebook works. At this point I'm becoming fairly frustrated with the continuing deterioration of Notebook functionality within ArcGIS Pro, but I'm genuinely curious if anyone else has had any of these issues.

2 Replies
gward
by
New Contributor

I am having the same issue. It happened when I upgraded us from ArcGIS Pro 3.2 to 3.3. Downgrading fixes the problem, however now we have a bunch of projects in 3.3. It's affecting 20 - 30 machines. We need to be on 3.3 now, and we need to use the Notebook functionality. Opening Jupyter Notebook directly gives an error and closes before I can see what it is.

SamPalmer
Occasional Contributor

I think I'm having the same or similar issue. I can't clone my python environment via the package manager in ArcGIS Pro. I have tried a complete reinstall of Pro and it didn't fix the issue. When the clone is done and fails there is a red exclamation you can click for error messages. Here is the end of the message:

AttributeError: module 'certifi_win32' has no attribute 'wincerts'
==> script output <==
stdout: jupyter nbextension command failed: map widgets in the jupyter notebook may not work, installation continuing...
jupyter nbextension command failed: map widgets in the jupyter notebook may not work, installation continuing...
stderr:
return code: 1

0 Kudos