Cannot add Conda Packages

09-21-2018 09:06 AM
Greg_Yetman
Occasional Contributor

I upgraded ArcGIS Pro to 2.2.2 and the conda environment seemed messed up (I couldn't activate an environment), so I uninstalled, removed the folder C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro, and installed a fresh copy of ArcGIS Pro (version 2.2.2). Now I can't even list environments! From the Python command line run as administrator, "conda list" returns:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "conda\cli\main.py", line 190, in <module>
File "conda\proconfig.py", line 115, in pre_hook
File "conda\proconfig.py", line 76, in proreg
File "conda\proconfig.py", line 44, in hive
File "pathlib.py", line 1139, in resolve
File "pathlib.py", line 193, in resolve
PermissionError: [WinError 5] Access is denied: 'C:\\Program Files\\ArcGIS\\Pro\
\bin\\Python\\Scripts'
[4000] Failed to execute script main

In fact, any conda command returns the access error. This is running on Windows Server 2012R2.  Any suggestions for troubleshooting? Permissions in the Scripts folder seem fine (users have read & execute permission, administrators have full permission). 

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Here is another post on this: ArcGIS Pro 2.2.0 and Python Package Manager 

Here are to KB's: Esri Support 2.2   | Esri Support 2.2 

--- George T.
0 Kudos
Greg_Yetman
Occasional Contributor

Thanks. The first KB doesn't seem relevant--the folder that the article references is already empty. The second article requires a "conda install", which I can't run right now, I get the same error as above. I may try a second fresh install, perhaps I missed something in my cleanup the first time around. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

And if you prefer to manage your own installation and have admin rights.

I simply installed in a simple folder as a single user (named user account)

Prior to 2.2, you could use the Package Manager in Pro, no more.

Conda install everything... or clone ….

I have had not problem with my 2.2.? installation and I have managed to install Spyder, Jupyter Notebook Jupyter Qt console, Jupyter labs, Pythonwin, upgraded NumPy to 1.15.x and installed a few other packages that I need.  All of the packages I installed come with the anaconda distribution distributed by esri, but you have no option of installing them if you don't take control from the start.  Once done, you can deploy an image to a multiuser environment which doesn't allow cloning.

/blogs/dan_patterson/2018/07/01/arcgis-pro-your-conda-environments 

/blogs/dan_patterson/2017/07/01/arcgis-pro-2-creating-desktop-shortcuts 

/blogs/dan_patterson/2018/01/28/spyder 

plus others.  I have even installed Anaconda Navigator since my students need access quickly to the scipy stack help files and support materials etc

Good luck

0 Kudos
Greg_Yetman
Occasional Contributor

Yes, we hav been using conda to manage additional packages (spyder and a few others for integration with R) on this machine and others; they are windows servers that we use for data processing, I configure the environments ad admin and then everyone has access to the tools. It's odd that the Pro patch broke everything, I wonder if it's related to a windows patch that occurred the same time day. Will keep digging and post anything that I find. 

0 Kudos