Select to view content in your preferred language

Cannot access tutorial

Jump to solution
06-14-2018 11:25 PM
JohannesBrink
New Contributor

Hi I am a total newbie with ArcGIS, have just signed up for a personal licence and installed ArcGIS Pro, everything seems to be ok, now trying to do the first tutorial: "Introducing ArcGIS Pro"

First, I am (seemingly) connected to the portal https://www.arcgis.com" Underneath the url in the "Portals" window, it says: "Available: Signed in as .....

The first few steps of the tutorial lets me choose a new project and choose "browse" after which I have to select "All Portal", this seems to be ok... although 
First question, I sort of expected to seen some projects there? Am I wrong?
Please see attached screen snapshot
Anyhow then in step 5 is says : "At the top of the dialog box, in the Search box, type Introducing ArcGIS Pro tutorial and press Enter."
What I get is shown in Screen Shot 2.
Any help would be appreciated
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You are searching in the wrong tab (Create New Project from Template).

According to Introducing ArcGIS Pro—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

• Click Open an existing project or Open another project, according to the option shown on your start page.

The Open project page opens. The blue column on the left has tabs for opening and saving projects as well as many other options. The Open tab is selected. Next to this column, under the Open heading, you can choose to open recent projects, projects on your computer, or projects stored in a portal, such as your ArcGIS Online organization.

• Under the Open heading, click Portal. Click Browse Browse
    • .Open project page
    • On the Open Project dialog box, under Portal Portal, click All Portal All Portal.
    • At the top of the dialog box, in the Search box, type Introducing ArcGIS Pro tutorial and press Enter.
    • In the list of search results, click Introducing ArcGIS Pro to select the project package.

Think Location

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Did you try again later? Not much you can do about a network error

0 Kudos
JohannesBrink
New Contributor

Hi Dan

Thanks for the quick response. Yes I tried just now with the same result.

The thing that confuses me a bit about the 'network error' is that, as I said, when I go to the portals window, it claims everything to be ok....

So i am not sure what the 'Network Error' really means in this case?

0 Kudos
JohannesBrink
New Contributor

Ok I made a mistake initially,  putting the string "Introducing ArcGIS Pro tutorial" in the wrong box at the top.

Now I have put it in the right one i get what is shown in the attached screenshot 

Thinking that perhaps the ' tutorial' bit is not needed i tried without that and get this:

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

it might have been looking for a network of that name

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You are searching in the wrong tab (Create New Project from Template).

According to Introducing ArcGIS Pro—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

• Click Open an existing project or Open another project, according to the option shown on your start page.

The Open project page opens. The blue column on the left has tabs for opening and saving projects as well as many other options. The Open tab is selected. Next to this column, under the Open heading, you can choose to open recent projects, projects on your computer, or projects stored in a portal, such as your ArcGIS Online organization.

• Under the Open heading, click Portal. Click Browse Browse
    • .Open project page
    • On the Open Project dialog box, under Portal Portal, click All Portal All Portal.
    • At the top of the dialog box, in the Search box, type Introducing ArcGIS Pro tutorial and press Enter.
    • In the list of search results, click Introducing ArcGIS Pro to select the project package.

Think Location
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Jayanta Poddar is right. In the tutorial, under Open the project, step 2, you need to click Open an existing project or Open another project (first bullet point in Jayanta's response). See also image below. Your screen shot shows you are trying to create a new project when you want to open an existing project.

ArcGIS Pro start page

JohannesBrink
New Contributor

Just want to say thank you for the help. I must have done something (else?) strange because I am quite sure I did actually choose the existing project case,  however when I did it now again it actually worked....So I am very happy! Thank you once again! 

0 Kudos
JohannesBrink
New Contributor

Sorry I did not read your answer properly, my screenshot contradicts my statement. So purely my mistake. Thanks one more, will be more careful in the future.

0 Kudos