Can you make multi colored 3D columns?

Jump to solution
07-22-2019 10:23 AM
TomMagdaleno
Occasional Contributor III

I have point data stacked on street intersections.  They are colored in one of 5 different colors.  I was able to extrude the points based on frequency, but the entire column is colored the color of the top point.  I would like to have the column show all 4 colors of the different points that make up the stack.  Is there a way to do this?  See attached picture below.  You can see that some of the other colors are showing through.  It would be ideal if I could organize them by priority too.  So black is on top, then red, then blue, etc and users could quickly gauge not only the frequency but type based on color.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KierstenHudson
New Contributor II

Hi Tom, 

I've heard this question a couple of times. The short answer (I believe) is no. 

The points are placed based on their location and Z value. In order to get the "stacked" and extruded look I believe you are referencing:

• Start your first point at the ground level and extrude to the height value desired (could be based on an attribute in your data)
  • The next point (zvalue) should START at the same height in which the previous was extruded to, and the extrusion value would be an attribute value in the data. 
    • You can set an expression in the appearance tab to follow the above extrusion structure 

This is a post on a different thread about ArcScene, but as you'll see from Xander where he is taking a similar approach by stacking on top of one another. https://community.esri.com/thread/70656

An example would be: 

Point 1: Begins at 0, extruded to 15 feet

Point 2: Begins at 15 feet, extruded to 30 feet 

Point 3: Begins at 30 feet, extruded to 50 feet 

And so on ..

Hopefully this helps in some way ! 

Best, 

Kiersten

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KierstenHudson
New Contributor II

Hi Tom, 

I've heard this question a couple of times. The short answer (I believe) is no. 

The points are placed based on their location and Z value. In order to get the "stacked" and extruded look I believe you are referencing:

• Start your first point at the ground level and extrude to the height value desired (could be based on an attribute in your data)
  • The next point (zvalue) should START at the same height in which the previous was extruded to, and the extrusion value would be an attribute value in the data. 
    • You can set an expression in the appearance tab to follow the above extrusion structure 

This is a post on a different thread about ArcScene, but as you'll see from Xander where he is taking a similar approach by stacking on top of one another. https://community.esri.com/thread/70656

An example would be: 

Point 1: Begins at 0, extruded to 15 feet

Point 2: Begins at 15 feet, extruded to 30 feet 

Point 3: Begins at 30 feet, extruded to 50 feet 

And so on ..

Hopefully this helps in some way ! 

Best, 

Kiersten