Can't install 2.8

Jump to solution
06-02-2021 09:22 AM
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

When I attempt to install ArcGIS Pro 2.8 from either starting the MSI or from the command line, I get

"You must accept the EULA to install ArcGIS Pro"

...and yes, of course, I tried both checking and not checking the box "I accept the Master Agreement" and on the command line using "ACCEPTEULA=YES" and various others like "ACCEPTEULA=1".

I am jealous of people reporting problems here with 2.8 since they seem to have been able to install it.

This is the command line I am using

msiexec.exe /i ArcGISPro.msi ACCEPTEULA=YES /qb

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Brian_Wilson

Running the MSI file directly from a CMD window with admin permissions worked.

Also running my BAT script to pass in all the command line options was able to run in a CMD window with admin permissions. This is preferred since it lets me set a concurrent license server, specify installation location, skip the check for updates, and so on.

I tested everything on another machine and the same issues arose. Clicking through the box to "Allow this program to make changes" was not good enough, I had to run as admin.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you try installing from the executable file (*.exe) from Windows Explorer?

Else try a similar command for installing ArcGIS Pro silently.

msiexec.exe /i <setup staging location>\ArcGISPro.msi ALLUSERS=1 INSTALLDIR="C:\MyArcGISPro\" ADDLOCAL=Pro ACCEPTEULA=YES /qb

For more info, visit Install ArcGIS Pro silently 

Think Location
0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson

Many years of installing software have taught me that the first thing to try is to do things the "normal" way, accepting all defaults, with all other apps closed.

If that works I try to improve on it to make installing on all my users' machines easier (usually by creating a BAT file with one line in it).

When it fails then I start trying other things, like reading the documentation and following the examples therein.

So far I cannot get past the bogus EULA acceptance message so none of the other options matter. 

Thank you for your suggestions.

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

hi, this is just a guess, but is it possible that the parameter value is case-sensitive? The doc for Install ArcGIS Pro silently says ACCEPTEULA=yes.

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson

Great idea!  but both the normal GUI install and the command line fail for me. 

The text has lowercase and the examples have UPPERCASE so it's either wrong or not important.

I tried lowercase in the command line and it still fails.

I downloaded the exe from Esri again just to eliminate that. Nope, no change. File is called ArcGISPro_28_177688.exe and I ran md5sum on it to confirm the checksum. Perfect.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

did you remove/rename any previous installation folder for 2.7 including those in

C:\Users\...you...\AppData\Local ?

A "clean" install, I have found means having to really remove stuff from previous installations.  Occasionally I have had to regedit to remove vestiges of esri from the registry as well before installing a version

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson

Another great idea that does not work! Thanks all the same, Dan. 

While uninstalling 2.7 I read through the docs and found Update ArcGIS Pro where it says

"You do not need to uninstall the previous version of ArcGIS Pro before installing the latest release."

Uninstalling did not help.

Next in regedit, I deleted the keys Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ESRI\ArcGISPro and the more promising Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ESRI\Updater which contains a key called "EULA_STATUS"

Still no use.

<sarcasm>I've only rebooted the computer once today. Maybe I need to reboot again. Maybe it's like a Windows upgrade and I need to replace the computer; it's a year old.</sarcasm>

My next step will be to try to update it on someone else's computer. Normally I install new releases on my own desktop first and try it out for a few weeks before unleashing it on unsuspecting users. Esri usually accommodates my trepidation by releasing a *.1 version by then.

I can always just wait for 2.8.1 too.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would go for the install on someone else's computer. first, next time then 😉

good luck

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Lkoman
by
New Contributor II

Hello  Brian,

were you able to install Pro on other machines?  

Thanks

Laurene

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson

Running the MSI file directly from a CMD window with admin permissions worked.

Also running my BAT script to pass in all the command line options was able to run in a CMD window with admin permissions. This is preferred since it lets me set a concurrent license server, specify installation location, skip the check for updates, and so on.

I tested everything on another machine and the same issues arose. Clicking through the box to "Allow this program to make changes" was not good enough, I had to run as admin.