Can't change default XY Tolerance when creating new feature in stateplane coordinate system

12-15-2022 11:41 AM
AaronManuel2
New Contributor III

I am migrating feature classes to a new database. The new DB is Postgresql 12.11 . As part of the migration I am changing the previous XY Tolerance and Resolution settings because they were set with far too many decimal places, way below the Esri default. This has caused issues with things like snapping and GP tools.

The coordinate system of the features is NAD 83 NC StatePlane in US feet. NOT the 2011 version. I am trying to set the xy tolerance to .01 feet and the resolution to .001 feet. However, when creating the fc Arc Pro will not let me make these changes.  It will look like its accepted the new tolerance, but when the feature is finished being created it will be back at the default. For the resolution, it won't let change it even in the menu, it just reverts to .000328 <etc> .

Strangely I can make changes like this if I am making a feature in a coordinate system like web mercator, or a nad83 coordinate system that is not state plane. But using a nad83 stateplane coordinate system this keeps happening.

So I'm guessing its something related to that I'm just not sure what it is. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Aaron - I see you have a Esri Support Services case with the Enterprise Geodatabase team already. That's great and likely the best path forward for a solution.  When tested with a fGDB, the XY Tolerance and Resolution change was honored it seems but not with the PostgreSQL database.  Not sure why this is happening either...

0 Kudos
AaronManuel2
New Contributor III

Yeah I have a case open, just thought I would throw something out here to see if anyone else has encountered this.

Works correctly in a fgdb OR when I create the FC in a dataset which is setting the tolerance & res. Just won't work in the root of the DB (if thats the right way to put it), when making a new FC in nad 83 state plane.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Makes sense - increase the audience size certainly!  So you mention the tolerances do not "stick" when using NAD83 Stateplane.  Can you test a FC using UTM?  Do the tolerances "stick" then?

0 Kudos
AaronManuel2
New Contributor III

So if I make a test point UTM 17N, I can change the tolerance and res. to anything I want without an issue. I'm finding this a little baffling 🙃 .

I tried again after upgrading to Pro 3 since I am running 2.9.4. Still have the issue. 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hmmm...that IS baffling.  So the XY tolerance and Resolution work with a UTM projection but not a Stateplane projection.  Let's try something else - using the Project GP tool, click the Environments tab in the GP tool and set your XY tolerance there.  For the output feature class, what are the values now?

0 Kudos
AaronManuel2
New Contributor III

Robert, we tried this and Pro still changes the tolerance settings. whether its exporting to a local gdb or our new enterprise db. 

The only thing I can get to work is if I use -ArcMap- to change the settings in our current db, which is postgres 9.6. Doing that the new FC keeps the numbers I have put in for resolution and tolerance. However arcmap will fail to create a FC in our new postgres 12.11 db, thought according to documentation it shouldn't be a compatibility issue with arcmap 10.6

So to summarize the custom tolerance/resolution settings scenarios:

• Arcmap to PG(postgres) 9.6 DB - Success
  • Arcmap to PG 12.11 DB - Fail. Arcmap won't create feature.
  • ArcPro to PG 9.6 DB - Fail. Custom settings overwritten.
  • ArcPro to PG 12.11 DB - Fail. Custom settings overwritten.
  • ArcPro to PG 12.11 DB Dataset with custom settings - Success. FC uses dataset tolerance.
  • ArcPro to local FGDB - Fail. Custom settings overwritten. 🤔

Sorry if I'm going all over the place but I'm trying to keep track what works and what doesn't.