Can Layout/Activate Be Persistent When Exporting To PDF

Jump to solution
05-20-2022 01:29 PM
Labels (1)
GRmapper
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I have been working with layouts and appreciate the value of the Activate button on the Layout ribbon. What I can't figure out is how to keep the Activated view all the way through to exporting particularly when I'm exporting a Map Series with multiple maps. Is this possible?

Thank You.

GR 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Ah ok, I understand now. You are trying to tweak the extent through activation and have that preserved in export. That's not possible with the user interface, although I believe you can accomplish that workflow using Python. Activation is supported in map series as a convenience to allow editing and exploring it isn't designed to change the extent which is driven by the map series itself. 

Cheers,
Aubri

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

I'm not sure what you are looking for here. Can you explain the result you are trying to get? Why does the map frame need to be activated during export?

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
GRmapper
Occasional Contributor
Sometimes I just really appreciate the control I have in that window. I just wish it could hold to export. If I have a part of a feature in the eastern hemisphere and it’s other part in the Western Hemisphere, moving the map in Activate makes it continuous. It might be my data. 
0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Ah ok, I understand now. You are trying to tweak the extent through activation and have that preserved in export. That's not possible with the user interface, although I believe you can accomplish that workflow using Python. Activation is supported in map series as a convenience to allow editing and exploring it isn't designed to change the extent which is driven by the map series itself. 

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
DavidMc_Laughlin
New Contributor III

Hi Aubri,

Have you got details of the python workaround for this?

Unfortunately, I'm coming across the same problem as @GRmapper  and need to use the activation to get the desired map location for the PDF output.

Thanks,

David.

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

I'm not a python expert, but I've found I can accomplish a lot if I start with one of these samples and then tweak it for my scenario. Maybe one can help you? https://www.arcgis.com/home/group.html?sortField=modified&sortOrder=desc&id=398a345905c845e38229c15f...

Cheers,
Aubri