Can I create a line that lies exactly in the middle between two abstract polygons?

Jump to solution
06-15-2021 07:53 AM
PeterC
by
New Contributor

ArcGIS Pro: Effectively, I need to buffer around two nearby abstract polygons, without any overlap, with each buffer ending at the midpoint between the two polygons. If I can create a line that lies between the polygons, I can use that line to erase each buffer as appropriate. Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

By 'abstract' do you mean non-contiguous? I'm unsure if there are possibly newer tools to do this, however I might construct thiessen polygons (convert your polygon boundaries to points, then run the buffer as previously, then select the thiessen polygons belong to each polygon in-turn and run an intersection and dissolve.

Create Thiessen Polygons (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Intersect (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

View solution in original post

DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Seems you want the buffers to just touch. That location of touch would be half way of the shortest distance between the two polygons. You can try this:

- Run Near tool on the polygons. Both polygons should find each other with NEAR_FID and NEAR_DIST.

- Run Buffer on the polygons with Buffer distance = 0.5 x NEAR_DIST. The resulting buffers should only touch.

Is this what you need?

Added comments:  If you have more than two polygons with various distances among them, the solution won't be so simple.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

By 'abstract' do you mean non-contiguous? I'm unsure if there are possibly newer tools to do this, however I might construct thiessen polygons (convert your polygon boundaries to points, then run the buffer as previously, then select the thiessen polygons belong to each polygon in-turn and run an intersection and dissolve.

Create Thiessen Polygons (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Intersect (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

PeterC
by
New Contributor

This actually solved the ground level problem without needing to find midpoints etc, thank you!

DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

No problem, is that the question answered then?  If so please mark it as solved.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Seems you want the buffers to just touch. That location of touch would be half way of the shortest distance between the two polygons. You can try this:

- Run Near tool on the polygons. Both polygons should find each other with NEAR_FID and NEAR_DIST.

- Run Buffer on the polygons with Buffer distance = 0.5 x NEAR_DIST. The resulting buffers should only touch.

Is this what you need?

Added comments:  If you have more than two polygons with various distances among them, the solution won't be so simple.