Can ArcGIS read geopackages created with QGIS?

02-02-2022 04:10 PM
Johntr
by
New Contributor

A YouTube video mentioned that although ArcGIS can read the vector data in geopackages created in QGIS, it cannot read the "symbology". Do you know if ArcGIS can read labels, including the label placement and label formatting, in geopackages created in QGIS? Is it true that ArcGIS cannot read the color of a polygon (symbology) in a geopackage created in QGIS?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I am taking a wild guess here that esri doesn't take much time to ensure that data produced by qgis can be used as input into ArcGIS Pro.  If you have such a package, you could experiment.  

Also, people on Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange would have more experience working with qgis and might know

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Pretty sure Esri does not have this open where you can open packages made from ArcGIS into opensource apps.

Refer:- 

1. Export ArcGIS or ArcGIS Pro projects as a QGIS project 

2. Is there a way to open an .mpk file in QGIS? (This one is a workaround which may vary in results..**Not Recommended)

~Shan
0 Kudos
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

@shan_sarkar wrote:

Pretty sure Esri does not have this open where you can open packages made from ArcGIS into opensource apps.

Refer:- 

1. Export ArcGIS or ArcGIS Pro projects as a QGIS project 

2. Is there a way to open an .mpk file in QGIS? (This one is a workaround which may vary in results..**Not Recommended)

I think you misread the question.

It's not about reading ArcGIS layers/maps/projects in QGIS, it's about whether ArcGIS supports reading non simple feature (i.e not points, lines and polys) data such as symbology, labels etc. that can be written by QGIS into geopackage (.gpkg) sqlite databases.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

With regard to the QGIS geopackage, any export from QGIS would also require the export of a Styled Layer Description (SLD) file that preserves the style set for the layer(s). ArcGIS Pro does not support the import Styled Layer Description files so any style properties such as symbology, labels and such cannot be transferred to ArcGIS Pro.  The only workaround is to use SLD files with a WMS in ArcGIS Pro.

Johntr
by
New Contributor

Not sure how a WMS would help in my case. I have a project with multiple point, line and polygon layers. In the point layers I have a label for each point that indicates the name and purpose of each land feature in an  area. I am preparing these layers as a geopackage in QGIS but the geopackage will be viewed by others who use ArcGIS Pro. I would like for these ArcGIS users to be able to see the labels on the features that they describe. Is this possible with some sort of work around? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

To my knowledge, there is no way to use a QGIS geopackage and have it preserve all the layer properties in an ArcGIS Pro project.  The only workaround I know is bring the geopackage data into ArcGIS Pro, recreate the labels, symbols, etc. and save that out as a Layer File (i.e. *.lyrx).  Then you can share the *.lyrx file with your fellow ArcGIS users and the data appears the same for all with regard to layer properties.

EmHain
by
New Contributor II

The QGIS plugin SLYR exports QGIS layers and maps to ArcGIS Pro .lyrx and .mapx files.Most of its functionality is to go from ArcGIS Pro to QGIS. However, they are continually working on providing more functionality to go from QGIS to ArcGIS Pro. There is a table on their Info page that details what they do. Some of it is free and the newer tools will be released for free once funding has been reached.

0 Kudos