Calculate Weighted Averages

09-17-2023 06:44 PM
Labels (1)
pbDudley
New Contributor III

Hello. I want to know if there is a way to calculate weighted averages for selected points. Does ArcGIS have a tool where one can select points then run a tool perhaps where the weighted averages are given for the points?  
My end goal would be to create a workflow or tool where one can select spatially similar points then perhaps run an analysis where it gives me the weighted averages. Is this possible?  I know they have the geo statistical tool but I am not that familiar with it. 
thanks 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Weighted average of what?

If you have a column which contains some attribute, you need  some criteria to provide weights. 

What do you have

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
pbDudley
New Contributor III

It would be for geological rock parameters. So porosity and others. If certain rock samples are the same type but spread across an area I would select these rock types(that are similar) then perform weighted averages on the porosity values to use for an analog that is near these similar rock types. 
So it’s a way to predict what a certain rock that’s near other similar rock types might be. There are other factors where I can deduce why the rocks would be a similar fit though just from knowledge of the area but I didn’t even know I’f this was feasible in ArcGIS or if a program that utilizes excel, power bi might be a better way to look into this 

0 Kudos
pbDudley
New Contributor III

Or just some statistical tool that I do t know about where I can look into it more

0 Kudos