Calculate Field with Multiple Entries Based on One Object ID (Concatenate?)

03-29-2021 08:05 AM
KevinTate
New Contributor II

Hello!

I am creating a layer for a non-profit that identifies priority watersheds based on our many partners' involvement. I have used the "Count Overlapping Features" tool to create a layer which displays the frequency in which a partner has identified a specific HUC12 watershed as a priority. 

The table I have below displays our partner names by Overlap ID in separate entries. For example, Overlap ID 441 has CBF, FOSR, NRCS, and SWCD displayed as 4 separate rows/entries. I want to display these 4 partner names in one field linked to the Overlap ID. "Overlap ID" 441 would have a "Partner Overlap" Field that would display the text "CBF, FOSR, NRCS, SWCD". This would allow the viewer of the attribute table to easily see which organizations were involved in a certain HUC12 watershed. 

I've gotten close with Concatenate in the field calculator, but cannot figure out how to limit to multiple entries of one singular field.

Thanks for your help!

3 Replies
KevinTate
New Contributor II

Upon further inspection I am NOT looking to simply concatenate. What I'm looking to do is group based on a single object ID field, then show all entries associated with that field in a single cell. Turning 4 entries into 1 with concatenated values.

I looked through the above linked threads and I saw a few other people with my same issue, but no answer. I saw a python script to make a tool to do this automatically, but no directions on how to implement. Is there a python code that I can plug into field calculator to create the product I'm looking for?

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is there a python code that I can plug into field calculator to create the product I'm looking for?

No.  There is no code that can accomplish this within the Field Calculator tool, which is why @DanPatterson created a tool for it in  Free Tools for ArcGIS Pro: Table Tools - Esri Community .