Select to view content in your preferred language

Calculate Field to assign number based on another field's value

11-18-2022 09:02 AM
theFinestFrenzy
Emerging Contributor

Hi everyone,
I have what seems to be a very simple question but I'm a bit of a newbie and I cannot figure this out!

I have an attribute table of points (some of which overlap). I need to remove all values that overlap more than a certain times. There is probably an easier way to do this but what I essentially did was get the sum for lat+long to get a "unique_value*" and what I'd like to do is have a Unique_ID field where lets say value 1 is assigned to all points with a specific unique_value (lat+long sum). Unique_ID Value 2 to the next Unique_value * and so on. Essentially I want* to remove all points that overlap more than 1000 times. How can I calculate the field to assign those numbers based on the value of my "unique_value" field.

I have limited python experience and I cannot comprehend this. Also, I did use Identify Duplicate tool but it doesn't work for what I'm trying to do beyond finding out how many points overlap. I can delete ALL overlapping points but I don't want to do that as all points under 1000 that overlap are still needed for my analysis.

Thank you in advance.

Edit* some typos

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

I am not sure if I fully understand the situation, but just want to mention the Frequency tool if you need to know the count of unique values in a field.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/analysis/frequency.htm

0 Kudos
theFinestFrenzy
Emerging Contributor

Thanks DanLee, I did use the statistics tool to get the frequency but I was having issues identifying data above the mean of duplicates in the original tables in order to remove it. I used the table from the Find Identical tool and joined it to the original data. I now just need to remove the features that duplicate above a certain threshold. I appreciate your response! 

0 Kudos
theFinestFrenzy
Emerging Contributor

Got it, I didn't need to do all this - Find Identical adds the FEAT_SEQ field which is basically the same thing. Good Times.

0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, Find Identical gives you similar information. When I read that you used Identify Duplicate tool, I thought you meant Find Identical.  

It seems you have figured things out. Good luck! 

0 Kudos