Calculate - field is not nullable.

03-31-2018 05:40 PM
JohnMorgan
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I am working on a shapefile within ArcGIS Pro 2.1. I am trying to use the field calculator to add a few fields to the populated one I created. However, I keep getting the error message of field is not nullable.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Derek

12 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

copy the geodatabase out to a new featureclass (Copy tool) with a totally different name

dump any unnecessary fields so that you just have the required fields (ie objectid, shape, shape_length, shape_area, shape_whatever ...)

do the calculation on a newly added field.

If that doesn't work.... start a new project... add just that featureclass and try again.

Report back since something is messed up an a clean reboot, restart with clean data is the only way you will track it down.

JohnMorgan
Occasional Contributor

Hi, Dan. 

I did finally get it to work after selecting Arcade as the Expression Type and selecting the Start editing check box. Go figure. 

Thanks again for sticking w/ me on this one.

Derek

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Out of curiosity:
Is ESRI willing to improve functionalities applicable on shape files? Easy operations like alter field name, change attribute ordering, make field nullable, etc, should be straightforward, no? 
I have been ages waiting for this, so that importing and exporting to excel tables would finally be out of my daily business. 
cheers